Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Found the weirdest thing in Links tub, please look

+2
squeakzor
JoeR
6 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Corns

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Found the weirdest thing in Links tub, please look  - Page 3 Empty Re: Found the weirdest thing in Links tub, please look

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Females of most egg laying animals will often lay eggs even though they have not been mated (or indeed been any where near a male). In mammal terms the equilivant would be a false pregnancy so this sort of thing is fairly common in the animal world and is most likely caused by hormonal changes at certain times of the year. (breeding season)
John
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Found the weirdest thing in Links tub, please look  - Page 3 Empty Re: Found the weirdest thing in Links tub, please look

Post by squeakzor Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:57 pm

thanks john, do you know roughly what age they'll be when this starts? or is it just different for them all depending on their own body and things?
squeakzor
squeakzor
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Obviously they have to be of breeding age/size, we have had eggs from an adult bearded dragon that had never been near a male. Birds are probably the best example of animals that will lay infertile eggs but it seems that quite a few species of reptiles do it too.
john
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by squeakzor Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:10 pm

thought so, thanks again for the info! :)
squeakzor
squeakzor
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3