Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

boa breeding...

3 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Boas

Go down

boa breeding... Empty boa breeding...

Post by BallPython Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:59 pm

hi all. id like to find out more about boa breeding.

the different ways of how to do it.
how long it takes?
temps etc...

last year i just left my pair in together and well i seen them lock but nothing happened...
so im collecting another female 2moro and she'll be goin in with my pair so hope fully ill have a lot off baby boa's next year...

BallPython

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

boa breeding... Empty Re: boa breeding...

Post by morelia Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:38 pm

Everyone's way of breeding will differ as it really depends on your individual set-up. Some people for example will find it difficult to get the temps low enough to sufficiently cool their boas for breeding, whereas someone else might not have to do anything at all to cool their boas because the room temp drops sufficiently by itself.
I would however recommend housing boas individually - co-habiting in snakes can lead to all sorts of problems and for breeding it will be essential that you can remove and re-introduce the male periodically; this is much easier if he is already housed separately.

The best info on breeding boas (and basically everything else on Boa constrictor) can be found in Vin Russo's book, I have this book and cannot recommend it enough. Anyone into boas should have this book. Here's a link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by morelia on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Warren_Booth Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:39 pm

I can help out with lots of aspects of breeding in a later mail (too busy now as celebrating the 4th of July at the Outer Banks, NC). One thing Iwill say, getting a new female and simply throwing her in is a sure fire road to disaster. You need a 6 month quarantine.

Warren

Warren_Booth
Unemployed
Unemployed

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down