Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paraguay Rainbow Boa

5 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Boas

Go down

Paraguay Rainbow Boa Empty Paraguay Rainbow Boa

Post by Redneck Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:40 am

Has anyone got one of these wee beauties.?

Got one coming in the next few days, setting the viv up now. The Boa is in shed ATM, so I thought it better to leave it in the shop until it had shed.

He / she seems a bit nippy, but maybe that was due to it being in shed...heard they can be very nippy as youngsters but settle well enough, any tips or personal experiences with these would be much appreciated.

Not looking for caresheets as such, got good advice from Wayne and I've the viv set up as it should be. Humidity / Temps ect' seem fine.
So if anyone has kept these please chip in.

Cheers.
Iain.
Redneck
Redneck

Male
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Paraguay Rainbow Boa Empty Re: Paraguay Rainbow Boa

Post by Warren_Booth Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:09 pm

one of the firt people to get these into the the UK was Ty Milsom, at the time running a business called Aztec reptiles, then renamed Cheltenham reptiles. I recall visiting him 8 or 9 years ago, and he had a number of gravid females in, and a number that had already dropped. All of the babies were aggressive, moreso than brazilian babies. I am sure they calm down in time, and with frequent handling. I am also sure that most are actually now colombian x paraguan crosses due to the similarity, not that this takes away from the look of the snake. They have very cool granite sides. I almost bought three of the gravid females that Ty had at the time. Good luck and post some pictures.

Warren

Warren_Booth
Unemployed
Unemployed

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks Warren, will do.
Heading down Thursday morning, hope it has already shed, if not am not fussed. Will gimmie time to make sure the set up is stable.

Just a wee side note, had to switch off the heating in the viv's today. We sure ain't made fer this heat lol.

Ya reckon the colour changes much from juvinile to adult? Was very like a Columbian in colour atm....there again, as I said, it was in shed. Hard to tell.
Redneck
Redneck

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:34 am

Hello again, sorry about not being on much. Computer trouble. Paraguay Rainbow Boa 359284
Well got her home, settled in well and eating fuzzies wi no problem, will up her size next month. Since having her she has had a good shed and still feeds well, heading off to do a piping gig tonight, soon as I get back I'll posy a few pics, just for the record, her temperament is excellent, easy to handle and never once ( yet ) struck out.

Heard they can be a bit nippy, but so far so good.
Redneck
Redneck

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:54 am

looking forward to pics Iain
Phil
Phil
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:27 am

Well not pics as such Phil, but a picture none the less.

Here she is, not great, but best a could do fer now.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Still feeding well, and has settled in well, typical of a young snake hides a lot, but becoming more adventurous.
Redneck
Redneck

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:41 am

very pretty Iain,what do these look like as adults? do they keep their colours like Brasilians or do they dual down like columbians?
Phil
Phil
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:46 am

This is her set up, loadsa hides on both hot and ( dark ) cool side. Humidity and temps are spot on.
She does seem to prefer the darker cooler side. Same as when Wayne had her, she stayed in the cooler side too, but does vary the hides.

Give a spray an hour or so after the light is on and again at night prior to turning the lights off, this works well.
Thinking of changing over to a red light.

Feeding tonight, al see if a can get any of her feeding.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Redneck
Redneck

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:50 am

Thanks Phil, from what I've been told what you see now is pretty much as they are as adults.
The male that Wayne had and sold to a regular customer is close at hand for future breeding. The owner of the male was enquiring who'd got the female, so down the line there may be some of these breed local.

Well pleased with her, nice to have something different, if your in and around anytime gimmie a shout 'n you can see her m8. Photos ( as usual ) don't do her justice.

Paraguay Rainbow Boa 358472

Iain.
Redneck
Redneck

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Wee update pictures...................................[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

She really is the most placid Boa I've ever came across, great feeding strike, takes it a bit OTT at times lol, but never once tried to strike out at me as of yet.

She's a 1 1/2 years now 'n good weight, so next year she'll be meeting up with a male Wayne has kept tabs on.
Redneck
Redneck

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jonty Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:43 pm

Very nice Iain she's coming along nicely, Paraguayans are fantastic, i picked up a pair within the last couple of months, the male is almost up to breeding size but the female is still very small so i've a long wait ahead of me before i can breed.

Marty
jonty
jonty
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 2371
Registration date : 2009-04-15

http://www.saintfieldhockeyclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:39 am

Stay in touch then Jonty m8, maybe yer male will be ready in time. Paraguay Rainbow Boa 3556

Good to hear from someone who actually has these crackin' Boa's. How are yours temperament ways?, even when I got her she was calm.

Needing to move her up into a bigger viv soon, thinking of joining two Pennine's together ( 24" x 2 joined ) They don't seem to do any size over 36", so ad be gaining a foot joining the two.
Redneck
Redneck

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:17 am

I saw Martys ones and I thought OMG how beautiful are these. Theres something about the head shape that made me think they had a more colubrid appearance to them then anything else but they are a stunning animal and if Martys are anything to go by just gorgeous snakes.
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jonty Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:46 am

No problem Iain I'm on here every day anyway, we could organise a breeding loan no problem if he's up to size.

Attitude wise both of mine were very nervous as I don't think they had been handled too much before I got them, they have settled in well now and are puppy dog tame, they certainly haven't shown any signs of aggression. These are fantastic snakes, not as popular as some of the other locales of rainbow boa but for the life of me I don't know why.

Marty
jonty
jonty
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 2371
Registration date : 2009-04-15

http://www.saintfieldhockeyclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:47 am

jonty wrote: These are fantastic snakes, not as popular as some of the other locales of rainbow boa but for the life of me I don't know why.

Marty

So very true. Yes indeed m8, maybe we can enlighten the others with a successful mating. Paraguay Rainbow Boa 539738
Redneck
Redneck

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down