Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

intersted in breeding hognoses

+4
sally
jonty
Tan
mark nesbitt
8 posters

Go down

intersted in breeding hognoses Empty intersted in breeding hognoses

Post by mark nesbitt Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:09 pm

hey guys mark here

im very interested in breeding hognoses i think that there amazing looking snakes

was just wondering any useful tips and there sizes that they can grow too

and dietry etc :) :)

much appreciated guys and gals mark
mark nesbitt
mark nesbitt
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2011-01-14

Back to top Go down

intersted in breeding hognoses Empty Re: intersted in breeding hognoses

Post by Tan Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:07 pm

I fully agree, they are pretty cool looking. Marty (Jonty on the forum) has kept these for years as well as Buddy and Ciaran so hopefully someone will be able to offer some sound advice and tips soon :)
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jonty Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi Mark

Western hognoses are a fantastic species to keep, i've had them for a good few years now, they were one of the first species of snake that i owned and still to this day remain one of my favourite species.

they stay small males grow to about 2 feet and females to between 2 and 3 feet. They don't need huge housing, i keep mine in 50L rub's although you could probably get away with smaller, i just like to give them a little more room because they are quite active snakes. Give them plenty of substrate, nice and deep as they like to burrow in it, i have tried several different substrates

terrabasyx

this is a mixture of eco earth and calci sand, it was very expensive and verry messy

eco earth

much cheaper than the above but still messy

aspen

this was good for them to burrow in and easy to clean but i was worried about them ingesting it during feeding and becoming impacted so i stopped using it.

these days i used hemp based horse bedding called hemcore, it's really cheap i only paid £11.50 for a huge bail no complains so far.

mine always went off their food a bit during the winter more so the male than the female. it took a while to get them up to a decent weight for breeding, the recommended weight to start breeding which is 250g to 300g
i got my female up to 260g and tried breeding but i had terrible trouble with the female, she ended up egg bound, i thought i had got all of the eggs out of her but 2 days later i found her dead in the viv perhaps it took too much out of her so i'd recommend waiting until the female is at leas 300g before trying to breed.

if you need any more info feel free to ask. Buddy may be able to give you more information as he has had more success with the breeding aspect than i have

intersted in breeding hognoses 792195

Marty

jonty
jonty
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 2371
Registration date : 2009-04-15

http://www.saintfieldhockeyclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sally Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:22 pm

size wise males average at 2 foot, females around 3 though buddy has a giant female from the states that has to be the biggest hoggie iv ever seen intersted in breeding hognoses 772154

hoggies are great snakes, my two are on adult mice at the moment as both are just about the two foot mark. the female is able for two adult mice and will take them if offered where the male will only eat one. they do have a habit of going on hunger strike for weeks at a time just for the fun of it.

they have fab personalities and think they are massive, my male does a great cobra dance, he flattens his neck and angles his head then wobbles from side to side hissing like a manic till he falls over. they can be a bit hissy in the viv and do tend to strike some of the time but in general its with a closed mouth but you need to be aware that they are rear-fanged and do have a venom of sorts that you could potentially be allergic to but from what iv seen the bites on the net that look really bad are from people who let the hoggie chew on them for a number of minutes.

my first snake was my hoggie and they are deffo my favourite snake closely followed by my sonoran. im sure others will be along with more info than iv given and much of mine is from personal experience with my own hoggies. good luck with it if you decide to do it, once mine are old enough i plan to breed them myself

Last edited by sally on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : marty beat me to it lol)
sally
sally
Unemployed
Unemployed

Female
Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by mark nesbitt Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:45 pm

thats great guys thanks Very Happy

appreciate the advice and defo interested in breeding them :)

what would be best for breeding though?

like two males and three female?
mark nesbitt
mark nesbitt
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mark nesbitt Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:51 pm

what are they like price wise?

western eastern and alino?
mark nesbitt
mark nesbitt
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jonty Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Normals are quite cheap, i've seen neonates ranging from £50-£70 from private sellers and i've seen tyhem ranging form £100-£120 in shops. albino's ranging from £250-£350 and for red albino's which are much nicer imho £400+

as for numbers i'd go far a pair or a male and 2 females, something like that

intersted in breeding hognoses 792195
jonty
jonty
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mark nesbitt Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:08 pm

really :O thats alot for an albino lol ill probs just get normals :)

thanks jonty much appreciated Very Happy
mark nesbitt
mark nesbitt
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jonty Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:18 pm

No Problem Mark, anytime, Thats what we're here for intersted in breeding hognoses 792195
jonty
jonty
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutchology Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:59 am

Aside from all the fantastic advice given here, I would also carefully consider that you can be left with young 'uns for a considerable length of time.

Get yourself a male and a female, house separately until they're old enough to breed and count yourself lucky if you break even on the cost price of keeping, housing, heating the parents all year with sales from the young. There's no profit in snake breeding unless you're doing it on an enormous scale, so beware of the large costs you may incur.

More than 1 pair will mean more offspring, but also means more costs and can also become more huge costs in unexpected vet bills when thinking of all the things that can go wrong. Something as simple as egg binding can become a very expensive problem very quickly.

Remember also that as above, you can be stuck with offspring. Folks don't have money these days and stuff is hanging about on the classifieds of the Irish forums and classified websites even when it's going for peanuts...

Sorry for raining on the parade folks, just inputting :)
Dutchology
Dutchology
Unemployed
Unemployed

Female
Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-03-11

http://www.reptiles.ie

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:44 am

"Get yourself a male and a female, house separately until they're old enough to breed and count yourself lucky if you break even on the cost price of keeping, housing, heating the parents all year with sales from the young. There's no profit in snake breeding unless you're doing it on an enormous scale, so beware of the large costs you may incur.

More than 1 pair will mean more offspring, but also means more costs and can also become more huge costs in unexpected vet bills when thinking of all the things that can go wrong. Something as simple as egg binding can become a very expensive problem very quickly."

Now thats a nail on head post right there, full of reality checks that most people only hit AFTER they've bred snakes. A lot of people bang on about 'snake breeders making money' and the funny thing is most of them have never bred a snake (or any animal) before! If only they did, their illusions would be shattered instantly and without drive and a passion for the snakes they keep, their interest in snakes and breeding soon wanes and disappears.

Sorry to detract from the thread slightly.....theres lots of great advice in the posts above Mark, choose animals that you like personally and breed for the fun and experience of it, oh and not forgetting you also get to holdback the nicest babies for yourself.....and you won't go wrong. Hognoses are great little snakes and full of character so I can see the appeal!

Last edited by morelia on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by naja-naja Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:51 am

if your wondering on what size they grow to and what to feed them, i would try researching just keeping them first and after having them then decide if you want to breed, you'll need a lot more then just the basics of keeping if you want to cool them, put them on a feeding regime incubate eggs, raise up possibly finicky and delicate babies etc.... its a lot more to think about rather then just 'how big, how much, what cage, what size food'.

naja-naja
Unemployed
Unemployed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by mark nesbitt Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:09 pm

i agree with everyone here :) thanks for the advice guys ive always loved the little hognoses for there actual skeletal shape with there skull and how the head forms to the neck down the body :) i find them extremly fascinating :) there are a few animals i would love to get in to and hognoses are amoung them aswel as african hedgehogs :')

but only time will tell when im ready for now im going to focus on learning about my boas then move on to hognoses and if im confident enough ill move on to the hedgehogs :)

thanks for the advice guys!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
mark nesbitt
mark nesbitt
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Buddy Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Some great advice here for anybody looking into hoggies....also remember that these little nut jobs are rear fanged and bites can occur when least expected.
We have been lucky this year and sold all but our hold back hogs but what the others said is very true..... Don't try breeding unless you have a bit of spare space and time on your hands and be prepared for a few heartbreaks along the way
All this aside I can only recommend these little American characters to everyone who wants a small snake with a massive attitude....we love them here
Buddy
Buddy
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down