Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Downsized collection

+4
trunx
WAMA
Pickles
Big Dogg
8 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Pythons

Go down

Downsized collection Empty Downsized collection

Post by Big Dogg Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:56 am

I haven't posted much on this forum in quite a while, until the past few days. The reason being that my reptiles became a bit of a chore to be honest. I'm sure I'm not the first to have this happen - you get "bitten by the reptile bug" and grow quite a large collection. At one point last year I had over 60 snakes, 20 Ts, 3 hedgehogs, almost 20 tubs of breeding rodents, 3 chameleons, 2 frogs etc etc. Then when I got a promotion in work, Almost all of my spare time was taken up with the animals. Thankfully I didn't rehome all of my animals and the ones that I did rehome all went on to good homes. I've now got just 4 snakes left - 3 carpet pythons and a royal python - and I'm back to the point of being able to enjoy the hobby.

I was torn on whether to post about this or not as I don't think it portrays me in a great light, but hopefully some new enthusiasts will take some advice from this - build your collection 1 animal at a time and make sure you're 100% comfortable with everything you've got, before looking for further additions to your collection.

Anywho, here's some pics I took in the last day or 2 of my remaining pythons:

1.) Female Jag Coastal Carpet Python
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr

2.) Male Jungle Carpet Python - possibly for sale

I have pics of the other 2, but haven't copied them off the DSLR yet, so will post them later...

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 309
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Back to top Go down

Downsized collection Empty Re: Downsized collection

Post by Big Dogg Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:06 pm

3.) Female Coastal Carpet Python

4.) Female Royal Python

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pickles Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:01 pm

The snakes you have left are lovely and I'd say fair play to you for realising when you had too much on your plate and giving your animals to good homes at least you have all the time you need to care for the ones you have now

Pickles
Lurker
Lurker

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2009-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by WAMA Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Love the Morelia Cool

WAMA
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:44 am

good post. and you kept some crackers, and a royal.

i only keep 5 snakes, 2 dunns, 2 maclots and a savu. i have another 2 to get in the future to complete my collection, then thats it. i dont want snakes for the sake of it. what i have interest me so i dont need loads when one of a species can do it. i dont like having to be in my snake room for more than half an hour either!

to many people feel they have to have loads of snakes i reckon.
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by murphysreptiles Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:09 am

carpet pythons are stunning mate

murphysreptiles

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dogg Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:37 am

Yeah I love the carpets - they're the perfect sized snake IMO - good length and thickness (thicker than colubrids and thinner than boas), though I do see myself adding a boa to the collection, as I regret not keeping one.

The jag is my favourite.

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sally Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:58 pm

fair play to you for what you did and for putting it out there for all to see. i go through phases of wanting this and that but i have stuck to my one dwarf boa and two hognoses and i cant see me getting any more snakes. lizards however is a different story, i adore all of my uromastyx and i would love more of them. when i have my own place the first thing thats coming in is an egyptian uromastyx and then ill be happy.

you chose some cracking snakes to hang on to though
sally
sally
Unemployed
Unemployed

Female
Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Buddy Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Love the morelia you held onto there
Buddy
Buddy
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dave himself 64 Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:18 am

mate i say fair play to you it takes a strong person to hold there hands up and admit when they are wrong Downsized collection 801134 and the snakes you did keep are crackers
dave himself 64
dave himself 64
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dogg Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:47 am

Cheers buddy :-D

Big Dogg