Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new addition

5 posters

Go down

My new addition Empty My new addition

Post by Big Dogg Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Throughout all the reptiles and herps I've owned, I've always wanted a packman frog, but never got round to buying one... until now. I picked myself up a fantasy frog this evening :-D Here he is...

My new addition 6313341981

I'll get the DSLR out when I get his tank set up half-way decent and get some good pics.

Anyone got any pics of their packman set up? I have him in a really basic tank at the mo with coco fibre as substrate. I would have preferred to use sphagnum moss as substrate, but read that this can be worse for impaction.

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 309
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Back to top Go down

My new addition Empty Re: My new addition

Post by Big Dogg Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:44 pm

I'll try the image again...

My new addition 6313341981_1437f5a88a
Fantasy Pacman Frog by Big Dgg, on Flickr

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dogg Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:41 am

One more pic today of him settled in a little:

My new addition 6314973929_7f2acb9219
Untitled by Big Dgg, on Flickr

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pickles Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Congrats he's lovely! Looks very at home in the 2nd pic Very Happy

Pickles
Lurker
Lurker

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2009-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:35 am

Pickles wrote:Congrats he's lovely! Looks very at home in the 2nd pic Very Happy

Doesn't he lol Very nice frog and a nice size too. Is this to be the start of many??? Very Happy Did you read the article Lisa did on these for the HSI mag?
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dogg Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:40 am

No, I didn't see her article :-( is it online anywhere? Much as I'd love to get more, I think I'll stick with just the 1 pacman lol.

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dogg Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:21 am

As this is my first pacman, I need some advice in regards to feeding. When I bought him/her, I was told he was eating rat pups. I offered some roaches and he had no interest, so I've been feeding rat pups just. But how often should I be feeding him a rat pup?

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Choobaine Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:08 am

Before I start, I apologize for the wall of text! I talk too much and I'll be the first to admit that, however, I hope I am of some help to you!

Congratulations on the new addition, pacman frogs are wonderful! Especially the fantasy frog hybrids, I have a special place for those in my heart.
As for diet unfortunately rodents are pretty high in fat and feeding a lot of them can cause a lot of health problems, and shorten the lifespan of the animal dramatically, you definitely had the right idea with the roaches though. I wouldn't feed rat pups at all, perhaps a couple of times a year at most, however there are options available to you!

Try a few different things to see if any invertebrates take it's fancy, crickets and superworms are easy to get, who knows perhaps the movement might attract it. I think earthworms are also a potential option (though I wouldn't get these from outside in case they have come in to contact with pesticides/weedkiller etc) can be found in fishing shops, alternatively you can buy them online. If you can get silkworms you can try those too, they're low in fat, great for calcium, here's a nice chart that shows their nutrition: http://www.silkwormshop.com/benefits.html
Here's a site that sells them, I haven't tried it yet but if it's good I will be breeding silkworms myself.
http://www.silkwormstore.co.uk/silkworms.html

If variety doesn't work try letting your frog go hungry for a little while. Pacman frogs can go some time without food, I would let your frog go hungry for a week or two, it's not too long but it should be just long enough to encourage it to stop being fussy then introduce some feeder inverts and see what happens.

Good luck!
Choobaine
Choobaine
Lurker
Lurker

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2011-08-10

http://www.flickr.com/photos/choobaine/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buddy Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:32 am

If used to tong fed rat pups try feeding him roaches, locusts etc from the tongs as well.....our fantasy is a lazy sod and rarely hunts down insects but happily accepts them one after the other from tongs here
A rat pup every couple of months as a treat is probably best rather than as a sole diet
Buddy
Buddy
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dogg Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:13 am

I assumed rodents on their own would be too fatty to be the staple of his/her diet. I will try tong feeding some roaches later.

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down