Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dart Frog Community

5 posters

Go down

Dart Frog Community Empty Dart Frog Community

Post by igmillichip Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:15 pm

Maybe we need a bit of getting some dart frog stuff going again.

I don’t normally go for Dart Frog community set-ups, but this is a community of dart frogs that I have.
With careful selection of décor, visual barriers, the correct species & gender and reduced water spots, a community can work.

I will give a small apology as these pictures were taken through the glass of a rather foggy tank…so resolution is lacking a tad.

Dart Frog Community AzureusDec2010_2
Dendrobates tinctorius azureus and D. auratus

Dart Frog Community Leuc2
Dendrobates leucomelas

Dart Frog Community Leuc
Dendrobates leucomelas

Dart Frog Community Auratus1
Dendrobates auratus

Dart Frog Community AzureusDec2010
Dendrobates tinctorius azureus

These are all relatively easy to care for Dart Frogs. The auratus being ones, however, to take care over food size as they cannot really deal with the size of food that the leucomelas or the azureus can deal with safely.

Care needs to be taken that the larger azureus do not become overly aggressive.

Care needs to be taken NOT to ever raise any hybrids within dart frogs.....and that also means crosses between different morphs of the same species.
Apart from the need to help make sure that strains are kept as natural as possible, cross-bred morphs are simply crap and tend to be disproportionate and not very attractive.

Thanks for looking.

Ian

igmillichip
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-06-10

http://www.thehsi.org

Back to top Go down

Dart Frog Community Empty Re: Dart Frog Community

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi Ian
Great close up pics, could we see a few of the viv itself to give us an idea how it should be set up? Can you also explain what you mean by reduced water spots and why this is important in a community setup.
Sorry for all the questions but if you don't ask you don't learn!
John
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:03 pm

I wondered the same John as I haven't a clue about these guys apart from some very basic rubbish so would love to know more.
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Sorry, was meant to say they really are beautiful creatures and I think your images are great Ian :)
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by igmillichip Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:25 pm

OK snakeboyadam.

I've done all the lots of water and filters and stuff, but found too much hassle as I have too many other fish tanks and vivs as well as species-only dart frog vivs.

Water is a basic problem for transfer of disease.
But dart frogs are not good swimmers.

Males will often attempt to kill another male by drowning.

A water spot may become a particular territory... and it may be guarded pretty strongly.
So, removing large water spots may make the frogs decide on less of a territory.....but that is were we get into dart-frog psychology guessing game.
I don't take too many chances.

I tend to use shallow water within my dart frog vivs..... it minises the chances of drownings and it also means that there is a reduction in the chances of getting anaerobic spots.

I still have some dart frogs in false bottom vivs with circulating water below, but I haven't adapted this particular set-up for such a thing as it was only intended to be a temporary set-up.

Here is the viv…..I turned the fogger off to give some sort of visuals, but I’m not cleaning the misted front.

Dart Frog Community Viv

AND for the secret infrastructure…..I place plastic see-though cups under various pieces of décor.
I add water to these cup and the frogs can go inside with minimal chance of drowning by other frogs. They also form a nice little micro-climate in case the humidity in the tank goes too low (I use fans within the viv to circulate the air and to control humidity)
So, here is one of the auratus peeking out of its home.
Dart Frog Community Auratus_in_shotglass

Showing 2 D. auratus (and a D. leucomelas off to the right side peeking out).
Dart Frog Community Viv2

I use moss (aquatic and terrestrial), bromeliads, java fern, and Cryptocorynes as plants in this particular viv. I don’t want it too heavily planted as I need to keep an eye on things.
This plant is a Cryptocoryne during its adjustment from aquatic life to terrestrial life.
Dart Frog Community Crypt

D. leucomelas under the Bromeliad. The leucomelas has decided to take the bromeliad as their home.
Dart Frog Community Leuc_inViv

D. auratus under a Cryptocoryne aquatic plant.
Dart Frog Community Auratus_in_viv

@Tan....just noticed your post as I was about to post this.
Cheers. These guys have so much character.

I'm going to venture into the main reptile room later to see if I can get some pictures of one of the thumbnale males with some tadpoles on his back.
In the meantime....I'll post one here to tempt you with an older picture (and maybe even a tadpole)

Note the 2 tadpoles on the back....
Dart Frog Community Ventri_babiesOnBack

Showing how small these guys are..... that is a freshly hatched micro-cricket on its head.
Dart Frog Community Ventri_froglet

And a tadpole of a the same species...
Dart Frog Community RVentri_tadpole

ian

igmillichip
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:53 pm

I am (almost) lost for words. Ian, omg, how you have time to have any kind of life that doesn't require becoming a hermit, chair the HSI as well as maintain your other animals is beyond me. I have never, ever, seen someone whos set ups are nothing short of fantastic and your knowledge is astounding.

Can I say they are adorable without taking away from a wonderful thread (because they are). I cannot be tempted by any more animals as I'm reading up on Mudskippers at present Very Happy but what fantastic images. Even the little cric is super :)
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by igmillichip Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:22 pm

@Tan..... you'll make me blush.
The answer is probably old age and burning the candle at both ends.

Very kind words.
:)

ian

igmillichip
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Super set of photos and great info Ian.....nothing beats an education from those with first-hand experience.

I've often thought about Dendrobates but was always put off by their small size and their need for small-ish prey (I hate crickets and hate Drosophila even more!) - but seeing photos like those makes me want to re-consider!
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472

Back to top Go down

Post by baillie Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:41 am

THERY ARE VERY NICE AFTER SEEING JOHNS NEW DART FROGS FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS IS 1 NEW ADDITION I WANT TO GET IN THE NEAR FUTURE(JUST HAVE TO CONVINCE THE OH LOL)
baillie
baillie
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:29 am

baillie wrote:THERY ARE VERY NICE AFTER SEEING JOHNS NEW DART FROGS FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS IS 1 NEW ADDITION I WANT TO GET IN THE NEAR FUTURE(JUST HAVE TO CONVINCE THE OH LOL)

No No David you have got it all wrong! lol
It has taken me 16 years to realise the secret, its not you that has to convince the OH but simply get one of your kids to do it - works everytime! lol!

john
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post by igmillichip Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:55 am

I found the kids came in handy as welll........ eg my sons needed a drum kit when they "get older", and "the fish and tarantulas are a good legacy for the lads to grow up with".
or "no dear, all of those guitars and amps will come in handy when the lads get older" (when asked..."do you really need another guitar?")
AND.... I got total agreement from my first son when he was 2 days old. :)

Yep. get the kids on your side, and it's easy.

igmillichip
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down