Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

burm morph sizes

+5
dunlupo84
Tan
owlbassboy
lisafay
hudsy13
9 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Pythons

Go down

burm morph sizes Empty burm morph sizes

Post by hudsy13 Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:07 pm

ok ive been lookin this up on google, but cant find much...
my question is does anybody seem to know what would the larger and smaller morphs be in burms....
eg boas smaler-hypos,c.a etc and larger- columbians
eg retics smaler-jampeas yellow heads larger - tigers etc

well can anybody point out wich morphs will be larger and smaller in burms
(by your veiws or what you know)

reason being ive gotten rid of 1 of my boas and im looking to get 2 nice burms i saw for sale after christmas...
hudsy13
hudsy13
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2009-07-09

Back to top Go down

burm morph sizes Empty Re: burm morph sizes

Post by lisafay Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:35 am

You've unfortunately gotten your information all mixed up, Hudsy.
The morph of an animal does not have anything to do with size probability (except in certain cases where morphs have arisen in locality animals).

Boas - Columbian is not a morph. It refers to the area these boas come from. Hypo is a morph, but can be present in dwarf boas or indeed in regular bci's.
Size is affected by locality, with some areas yielding smaller boas than others, for example, sonoran dwarf boas, hog islands etc.

As for retics, you've gotten localities and morphs mixed up also.

Mainland retics (which refers to the huge mainland area where they are found) are capable of reaching huge proportions. These can come in most morphs.

Dwarf retics come from various island localities, eg. Jampeas, Honey Islands etc. These are NOT morphs, they are localities.

So, you have pure locality animals which vary in size depending on where they originate. Morphs are naturally occurring and line bred genetic mutations which result in a huge variety of colours and patterns that may be passed on to other animals genetically. Many have arisen in mainland stock, and there are a few that have arisen in dwarf populations, eg. the Golden Child retic is thought to originate from dwarf salayar retics. The genetic striped retic also originates from dwarf populations.

However, different localities are mixed all of the time in creating different sized morphs. Therefore you can have very large, as well as very small tiger retics, large and small albinos. Morphs DO NOT determine size.

The same applies to burms. There are dwarf burms, which have not seemed to take off here and in the UK and morphs are not readily available in them.
Apart from that, you are dealing with regular burms and ANY regular burm morph is capable of reaching the same size.
So really, it doesn't make any difference whether you choose an albino, a granite, a normal, hypo, green...whatever. It is just a colour/pattern mutation and has nothing to do with the eventual size of the snake Wink
lisafay
lisafay
Insomniac
Insomniac

Female
Number of posts : 1636
Registration date : 2010-02-24

http://www.thehsi.org

Back to top Go down

Post by hudsy13 Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:54 am

lol sorry for my mistake morphs and localitys is an area i need to look over some more.... i was also typing it out at 3.07 am and i was quite tired...cant beleave i put down columbian for a morph lol I prob should of waited and posted it when i was thinking a bit clearer to save imbarrasment
hudsy13
hudsy13
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by owlbassboy Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:02 am

sorry not to make it worse for you in any way but don't you mean embarrassment lol
owlbassboy
owlbassboy
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2010-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by owlbassboy Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:04 am

also i take it your mum likes burms but not boas?
owlbassboy
owlbassboy
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hudsy13 Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:21 am

lol...yes embarrassment....
she not that bad she just wanted rid of my semi agressive ones,
she dont really bother with me and my snakes just as long as theyre are safely locked in tanks (the big ones)
im building a big tank(or 2) 8ft by 3ft in my attict so they are out of my mums way and i going for a new idea on heating, im going to expirement...
hudsy13
hudsy13
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Superb info Lisa burm morph sizes 792195
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lisafay Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:44 pm

hudsy13 wrote:lol...yes embarrassment....
she not that bad she just wanted rid of my semi agressive ones,
she dont really bother with me and my snakes just as long as theyre are safely locked in tanks (the big ones)
im building a big tank(or 2) 8ft by 3ft in my attict so they are out of my mums way and i going for a new idea on heating, im going to expirement...

Not to be funny Hudsy, but how would she feel about a semi aggressive or aggressive giant constrictor?
I see some of this has already been pointed out to you elsewhere. Burms are often seen as 'gentle giants'. That is most certainly not always the case. As Dutch has said on the other thread, they are dangerous wild animals. I have a male albino granite burm who was perfectly placid until he reached two years of age and became sexually mature. He started with giving the OH a decent bite, and now he's a narky so and so.
Because of the size these animals get to, I would not have any if i did not have an other half to help me with them.
Will you have a second, or even thrid pair of hands to help you when these snakes become larger? If not, don't even think about it. Myself and Dave spent ages last night trying to unravel a nasty 13 ft snake from his arm, while he was in agony. We could have done with a third person. Burms can get quite a bit larger than this.

Also, attics tend not to be great places to keep reptiles, unless they are well insulated and heated Wink
lisafay
lisafay
Insomniac
Insomniac

Female
Number of posts : 1636
Registration date : 2010-02-24

http://www.thehsi.org

Back to top Go down

Post by dunlupo84 Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:03 pm

great advice lisa,im stick to boas for the time being.altho bust to move into the monster snakes just know i aint ready yet.

dunlupo84
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by redknee5 Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:35 am

yea i agree im meanin this in no way to offend you hudsy mate but i seen u werein gloves handling a male boa if your nerves with a male boa how could you deal with a burmese burmese are quite docile but they can be fiesty and there gna get hudge i fink its important to tell you this
because u need to be fair to the snake a burmese needs to go to a home were it can be looked after and not just to be owned because u fancey haveing it i would stick to the smaller stuff dude to be fair to u and the snake. ino burms are a lovely snake and and a rewarding creature to the right owner but with an unexpercienced nerves keeper could be a horror picture

im not meanin this in no way to offend you mate im just trying to get u to the right thing

redknee5
Lurker
Lurker

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony W Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:57 pm

redknee5 wrote:yea i agree im meanin this in no way to offend you hudsy mate but i seen u werein gloves handling a male boa if your nerves with a male boa how could you deal with a burmese burmese are quite docile but they can be fiesty and there gna get hudge i fink its important to tell you this
because u need to be fair to the snake a burmese needs to go to a home were it can be looked after and not just to be owned because u fancey haveing it i would stick to the smaller stuff dude to be fair to u and the snake. ino burms are a lovely snake and and a rewarding creature to the right owner but with an unexpercienced nerves keeper could be a horror picture

im not meanin this in no way to offend you mate im just trying to get u to the right thing

Redknee5..Top notch advice.....Hudsy, all of the above is worth taking on board...real sound advice and free...does it get any better??? Very Happy Very Happy

Tony W

Male
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2009-08-23

http://www.tjreptiles.net

Back to top Go down

Post by redknee5 Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:05 pm

thanks tony dude mrt

redknee5
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by hudsy13 Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:50 am

redknee5 wrote:yea i agree im meanin this in no way to offend you hudsy mate but i seen u werein gloves handling a male boa if your nerves with a male boa,....

just because i were a glove with does not mean i have nerves with him....
about 30_40% of the time hes been out hes bit my wrist.... one thing in common was that i had taken my glove of or not wearing anything over my wrist....if you feel this is false i would happily invite you to come and handle him with your wrist visible and see how quickly he bites you....,
also whats my boa got to do with me looking a burm?,
just because i use a glove for one of my snake that seems to make me unfit to care for another snake??
hudsy13
hudsy13
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by owlbassboy Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:03 am

look i think you need to get real kid, you are too young to contemplate getting a burm, wait til you are older and have your own house. im just so sick of reading about you wanting these big snakes then trying to sell them, what is wrong with something like childrens pythons? stunning, more unusual and require much less space.
owlbassboy
owlbassboy
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:18 am

on the glove thing. id wear a pair of cotton gloves to lift a sonoran i have simply to hide the heat from my hand, its a heat seeking w hore at times..............

trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hudsy13 Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:29 am

what big snake have i got and trying to get rid??
if your talkin bout my 6ft boa it is not of my decission to sell her...my mum want her gone...other than that i would happly keep her... and thats the only big snake ive had that ive been trying to get rid...NOT SELL £40 thats a rubbish price for an adult boa, so ive counted just the one big snake im tryin to get rid, but you said SNAKES which is plural so it means more than 1....so where are the rest of these big snakes i am sellin?? so inlighten me on the rest of these big snakes ive got,sayin as you seem to know better than i do....
you know what all thats happening here is making me more determind to get a burm...
also i am gettin quite p***** off at some of the people on this forum to be honest as this is i think the 3rd or 4th time one of my posted topics has ended up in fighting in some way....
sorry to those who make this forum a fun and enjoyable place, but there are a few people who just take the p*** and seek the need to find fault in everything...in this instince its my age....
lock this thread up, there is no point on continuing this....
hudsy13
hudsy13
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by redknee5 Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:26 am

were just tryin to help u mate if your worried about a boa bitein your wrist what would u do if an 17 feet burmese tryed it

and to be honest hudsy u have no need to come on here and get nasty with us were trying to keep u right u post up the silliest of things sometimes thats y people comment on it but if your gonna get cheeky about it that fine

ps. ur like 15 u should be in bed at 7.30 watching high school musical never mind messing with the great burmese python

could be worse you could be grounded

redknee5
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by hudsy13 Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:39 am

hold at what point befor owlbassboy's comment was i nasty??
and further more at what point was i nasty towards you?? but now you got me started lets talk about those mainland retics you just bought and are now looking to sell!! yet yous feel need to pass jugdement?? was the big snakes jut too much for you soo your runnin back to wee petit corns??, now isnt that just hypocritical....

unfortunatly i dnt have high school musical...so could ya give me a wee lend of your box set?
hudsy13
hudsy13
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by owlbassboy Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:43 am

i agree no point in continuing this as you will do whatever you feel like doing no matter what people advise you of, the only time you would listen is if its exactly what you were wanting to hear
owlbassboy
owlbassboy
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hudsy13 Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:03 am

haha.....i was happy with the start of this thread i was gettin top notch replies that where helpful (lisa and dutch) though after bout half way down yous started bringing up bits that was completely unrealed to my oridginal request...which the talk was on BURMS not my BOAS....if i wanted comments on my boas the i would go to the boa section and post a thread for yous to comment to your hearts content.....,
but i didnt post that type of thread, i posted a thread looking info from keepers on the site who have burms....,
but now you are goin to make out that im the bad guy??,
no i took in the advice that was mentioned to start with, but yous have now managed to make me change my mind...again, and now im really thinking on goin out a buy my self a nice burm, cause i just dnt care anymore....
hudsy13
hudsy13
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by redknee5 Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:35 am

hudsey ive just moved from a 4 beedroom house till a 2 bedroom house after just havein a baby i have no were to keep 2 retics no more i hafta sell everything i have even the corns.

if your d**k is ever fortunit to work u may end up the same

redknee5
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:22 am

hahahahaha. what a laugh. hudsy, keep royals, forever. would keep people happy...................
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by jonty Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:08 am

I'm locking this up guys as the relevant advice has been given and the thread has started to go in the wrong direction all together. If anyone has any problems with this please drop me a PM.

Marty
jonty
jonty
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 2371
Registration date : 2009-04-15

http://www.saintfieldhockeyclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content