Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breeders in Northern Ireland

3 posters

Go down

Breeders in Northern Ireland Empty Breeders in Northern Ireland

Post by m2k15 Wed May 12, 2010 4:04 am

hello, Im kind of new to the world of pygmy hedgehogs but seen one online while i was looking for something else. i am now enamoured with these animals and have been doing a bit of research. im having trouble finding any breeders online from my research and was wondering if anybody on here would know of any?

m2k15

Male
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Breeders in Northern Ireland Empty Re: Breeders in Northern Ireland

Post by Tony W Wed May 12, 2010 4:49 am

Tan will be able to give you a steer re. hogs...she'll get back a little later probably.... Very Happy

Tony W
Someone turn off my internet

Male
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2009-08-23

http://www.tjreptiles.net

Back to top Go down

Post by m2k15 Wed May 12, 2010 5:34 am

thanks for your help.

m2k15

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Wed May 12, 2010 8:19 am

Hey. You won't find many breeders up north or down south for that matter. Many people have gotten out of it but there are one or two private breeders who crop up a few times a year. I cannot tell you anything about them so I cannot recommend them as decent breeders.

The only other option you have apart from a pet store is to import, remember not to brake Bal Live if importing as the UK take it quiet seriously, it can be a lot more trouble then youd think OR just wait a few months.

There may be some hoglet pictures in this thread before the summers out Wink although I know John has his spoke in already Very Happy
Tan
Tan

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by m2k15 Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 am

do you know any pet stores who do them? a lot of the UK breeders dont seem to be too enthusiastic about bringing them over. wouldnt really consider bringing them from anywhere further. i was thinking on waiting till later in the summer anyway just thought id check if anyone new of any breeders so i could keep an eye out.

thanks for all your help.

m2k15

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Wed May 12, 2010 8:54 am

I can tell you a few pet store who can supply if this is the root you wish to take BUT there are many benefits to going to a breeder.

One of my largest rescues in the past was from pet store imports and I wasn't impressed with the animals general health let alone anything else. I had many sleepless night and my vets bills where in the thousands. As these hogs are mass produced to meet the demand I personally wouldn't go that road but iot doesn't mean you won't get a decent animal. I think knowledge is the key when buying anything, car, house even a pet.

I know the breeders in UK can be fussy over transporting but for the sake of a ferry trip it's nonsensical. The hogs travel rather well tbh too so no valid reason in my eyes to not allow you to collect and bring home. If you're willing to wait over the summer and not rush into it I'm sure you'll find something decent.
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by m2k15 Wed May 12, 2010 9:13 am

yeah true, dont think i will be rushing into it to be honest i like to do a lot of research before i get anything. if anything to make sure im prepared and have enough knowledge to get a good quality pet. i know its not the same but ive had hamsters before and im pretty sure my very first one wasnt very well when i got it and im sure it was because of the pet shop so i wouldnt be a fan of getting one from a pet shop.
think ill just wait and see.

m2k15

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Wed May 12, 2010 9:19 am

I think your making a wise decision. I've been searching some of my old photos to show you what happened to many of these hogs but I cannot find them at present. I know I was only looking over them recently. I'll find them soon enough and show you some of what goes on behind closed doors.
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content