Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Male boa still off food since breeding season started

3 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Boas

Go down

Male boa still off food since breeding season started Empty Male boa still off food since breeding season started

Post by matt Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:19 am

I have a male Hog Island that has been off food since mid January. He fed three times in quick succession in January, but hasn't eaten since.

I am not really all that concerned yet because I know he has been in breeding mode; sperm plug deposits found in the tank, extremely active the last 8 - 9 weeks, especially at night. So that explains the lack of interest in food...

What I'm wondering, is 3 months a long time for an adult male to refuse food, or is this perfectly normal? I only picked him up last October, and behaviour/feeding records were not recorded by the previous owner so I've nothing to compare this with.

His viv is directly below the female's viv, so I was thinking maybe this is prolonging his breeding fast if he is picking up her scent.. Opinions on that are welcome...

Apart from the skin being only a little looser than usual, he is still in good condition as far as I can see, but I'd like to see him feed again soon enough.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated
Cheers Male boa still off food since breeding season started 792195

matt
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-11-02

Back to top Go down

Male boa still off food since breeding season started Empty Re: Male boa still off food since breeding season started

Post by morelia Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:54 am

If hes an adult, I wouldn't worry at all. Keeping a weight chart will put your worries at rest - snakes and other reps can fast even for no apparent reason, but as long as they don't lose much body weight then theres nothing to worry about.

This is the classic time of year for many spring-breeding animals to go off their food, the recent hike in outside temps and air pressure is resulting in strong breeding responses in pythons and colubrids here, and the behaviours you've mentioned are classic male roaming / mate searching behaviours.

Weigh him once a month, make sure he always has fresh water available, and give him some lovin' if you have a female up to size / age.
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Male boa still off food since breeding season started Empty Re: Male boa still off food since breeding season started

Post by St3ve76 Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:55 am

I wouldn't worry Matt.
Both males and females go abit weird when it come to breeding and as you say if the female is giving off a scent just below him he will smell it and the only thing he will be thinking about is getting to her and food would just be a distraction.

St3ve76
St3ve76
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1029
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by matt Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:43 pm

OK, cheers for that guys

The frantic pacing of the viv has recently died down a lot, and he is just out of a shed too, so maybe he is chilling out a bit more now, and maybe approaching feeding mode again.

Like I said, he hasn't lost much size, if any really, maybe the skin is just a little looser around the face, but not badly.

I will move his viv either across the room, or into a different room if I feel the scent of the female is prolonging his fast excessively, but like you say, maybe 3 months for a six foot male Hog, 5 years old, is not too extreme..

Thanks for the feedback too, its confirmed for me what I thought already; that he is probably grand and will feed when needs be... Still good to hear from others on this, so thanks

@Karl I have a female for him yeah, but she needs another year under her belt I reckon, I'd be happy to attempt a pairing there in early 2012

Cheers Male boa still off food since breeding season started 792195

matt
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matt Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 am

BOOM! Struck at at a medium rat this morning with force, absolutely delighted, and relieved also !!

Male boa still off food since breeding season started 792195

matt
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down