Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ball vs. Royal python

+11
lisafay
JoeR
reptile ni
Tan
Tony W
shelbyb
ConorN
trunx
moloch gibbon
snakeboyadam2k8
morelia
15 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Pythons

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ball vs. Royal python Empty Ball vs. Royal python

Post by morelia Mon May 04, 2009 11:55 am

A trivial thread this really, but I find it interesting that more and more people in the UK and Ireland keep talking about BALL pythons rather than Royals. Up until I came on the forums I only ever heard people here call them Royals.....I guess as the net becomes cheaper and easier to access than books and direct contact with other keepers, things like this are bound to increase with time.

The Americanisation of the World, eh?
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Ball vs. Royal python Empty Re: Ball vs. Royal python

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Mon May 04, 2009 12:57 pm

morelia wrote: I find it interesting that more and more people in the UK and Ireland keep talking about BALL pythons rather than Royals.

Funny at the zoo we always referred to them as ball pythons as it was easier and more interesting to explain to children the reason for that name, ie when threatened they roll up into a ball rather than the latin name python regius which translates to Royal python. I am going back perhaps 25 years so maybe its an age thing with older people referring to them as ball pythons and younger generations as Royals
However I note that there are many well known books such as 'Ball pythons in captivity', 'General care and Maintenance of Ball pythons', 'Husbandry and breeding of Ball pythons', where the name ball python is used continually throughout the books. In fact out of 10 publications I looked up only one referred to Royal pythons and the rest called them ball pythons They are all modern American publications so perhaps it may be as you suggest an Americanisation as well.
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post by moloch gibbon Mon May 04, 2009 1:39 pm

Stubborn soul that I am, I will only ever refer to them as Royal Pythons; much the same as Spectacled Bears will never be called Andean Bears by me, or Moloch Gibbons i'll never call Javan Gibbons. Going one random step futher, Marathons will always be this in my eyes - and never the horrible 'Snickers'! There are so many animal aka's (also known as) so this is why scientific names are so important - this said, the scientific community plays a great little game of silly beggers by changing some animals' scientific names every so often; cornsnakes being a great example, changing from Elaphe guttata guttata, to Pantherophis guttata guttata. I suppose it really doesn't matter which vernacular name we use, being a dinosaur however, I'm not one who accepts change for the sake of change readily, so Royal Python is is by me! Very Happy
moloch gibbon
moloch gibbon
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male
Number of posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Mon May 04, 2009 1:41 pm

i think karl is right about the internet. they were always royals here. but now with the net being accesibale to almost everyone ball python is being used more because all the main breeder/sites/videos are american. america wont be happy until it takes over the world......................
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ConorN Wed May 06, 2009 3:50 am

I'll always refer to them as Royal Pythons, that's the translation of their name, Ball Python is a nickname, as such it is incorrect. It was made up probably by someone who had an issue with Latin being used as the default to name all animals still.

Personally, I think the story of how they became named "python regius" far more interesting than the whole scare them enough and they'll make ball thing. Especially as that will encourage to try and frighten them into making a ball.

ConorN

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by ConorN Wed May 06, 2009 4:07 am

ConorN wrote: Especially as that will encourage to try and frighten them into making a ball.

meant to read:
ConorN wrote:Especially as that will encourage the kids to try and frighten them into making a ball.

ConorN

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Wed May 06, 2009 4:20 am

??? so are you nsaying that every common name is a translation of the latin? thats just wrong............
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ConorN Wed May 06, 2009 4:36 am

trunx wrote:??? so are you nsaying that every common name is a translation of the latin? thats just wrong............

*sigh*

No Trunx, where did I say that? Did I mention anywhere in my post that common names must be a translation of the Latin?

I said "Ball Python" was a Nickname as such is wrong, I'm sorry if the clarification "that's the translation of their name" for those who didn't know that's where the name royal python came from confused you. I never mentioned common names.

But making up nicknames for snakes leads to confusion, with different regions referring to the same snake by different names, whats to stop breeders in England nicknaming a retic one name, and US breeders using the same nickname for an afrock, pain in the ass for someone who didn't know the difference, looking them on the net or trying to read up on them.

I'll clarify here for you Trunx, this is *IN MY OPINION*.

ConorN

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Wed May 06, 2009 4:55 am

ConorN wrote:I'll always refer to them as Royal Pythons, that's the translation of their name, Ball Python is a nickname, as such it is incorrect.

Have to agree with Trunx on this one!

Could you clarify for me what is the difference between a nickname and a common name, very few common names are a translation of their latin name and are usually 'local' or nick names which can also vary from area to area or continent to continent, therefore in my book there is no difference between a nick name and a common name. That is the main reason why scientists always use latin name for plants and animals to ensure there is no confusion, perhaps we should do the same or at least add the latin name in brackets so that everyone knows what species we are talking about.
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moloch gibbon Wed May 06, 2009 6:21 am

Just playing devil's advocate here: Latin is only one language which is used to scientifically name animals (and plants), Greek is also used, and occasionally a few other languages; this is why I use the term scientific name rather than Latin. Incidentally, and totally nowt to do with herps, Welsh is also used in the common name of penguins: penguin is derived from the Welsh, Pen gwain, which means 'white bottom' or words to that effect! I'm off now to put my anorak on! : Ball vs. Royal python 772154
moloch gibbon
moloch gibbon
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male
Number of posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Wed May 06, 2009 7:52 am

snakeboyadam2k8 wrote:
ConorN wrote:I'll always refer to them as Royal Pythons, that's the translation of their name, Ball Python is a nickname, as such it is incorrect.

Have to agree with Trunx on this one!

Could you clarify for me what is the difference between a nickname and a common name, very few common names are a translation of their latin name and are usually 'local' or nick names which can also vary from area to area or continent to continent, therefore in my book there is no difference between a nick name and a common name. That is the main reason why scientists always use latin name for plants and animals to ensure there is no confusion, perhaps we should do the same or at least add the latin name in brackets so that everyone knows what species we are talking about.

Better than i could have said it.

"It was made up probably by someone who had an issue with Latin being used as the default to name all animals still."

thats where you said it. royal python is not the default name. royal python and ball python are bot common names and as john said common names are nicknames. Oxyuranus microlepidotus is the fierce snake, the inland taipan or the small scaled snake. is one of these common names wrong? is one of them a tranlation of the scientific name? *sigh*..............
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Wed May 06, 2009 11:17 am

moloch gibbon wrote:Just playing devil's advocate here: Latin is only one language which is used to scientifically name animals (and plants), Greek is also used, and occasionally a few other languages; this is why I use the term scientific name rather than Latin.

I stand corrected Raymond, of course I should have used the term Scientific name and not Latin name, consider my wrists well and truly slapped. Embarassed
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shelbyb Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:39 am

yea i always call them royals! the reason for this name(not that you all dont already know!) is that Cleopatra used to wear royals on her wrists as a sign of power! thats where the name royal python originates!

shelbyb

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am

I always like to see older threads resurrected :) It is interesting how animals get their names in different areas of the World - some make much more sense than others!
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony W Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Our US friends refer to Regius as Balls by and large, we tend to refer to them as Royals....we call Vipera berus an Adder or Viper...non of the latter are wrong, take your pick and work away...a common name or term is exactly that....the species identifier is as Raymond indicates the scientific name....

Tony W
Someone turn off my internet

Male
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2009-08-23

http://www.tjreptiles.net

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi Tony
As Karl says this is a really old thread first posted in May 2009 (I think) thats going to be a growing problem as the forum gets older, at the moment the dates of posting only give date and month, could the year also be included in the posting for the sake of clarity and to avoid confusion especially in the for sale section.
John
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony W Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Hey John,

Old posts are as valuable to newer members as new ones...if older members have contributed to an old thread and feel they don't want to again that's fine, the date of Karl's original post indicates day, month, date, year and time...where are you referring to?....classified is different...again we'd ask all folk to announce whenever a particular ad has run it's course so it can be locked....this obviously requires contribution from all members....

Tony W

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:57 am

Hi Tony
As you say almost all the chronological information is given except the year, and it was this I was referring to, its very frustrating to come across a posting and follow it through only to find it was posted a couple of years previously. As it is I couldn't remember whether Karls original post was May '09 or '10 (something to do with old age and memory loss I think)
John
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony W Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 am

Hey John,

I'm sorry for being a dummy here....I can view all details on this page.... top of page 2 Trunx posted May 06 2009....followed by you same day and year....in order to make a comment on a thread most folk [well me anyway] take a look at the OP's comment/s article/s to start with, it clearly states details referring to timings of the post.....if there is another location we can place a year to make life easier let me know where it you're referring to and I'll pass this across to Steve for action....

John, let's continue this discussion on site issues, problems and tips....thanks!

Tony W

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:43 am

doesnt show year on mine either tbone, may becaure your admin it shows on yours................
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 am

I was going to say I can see all the times and dates in full but we didn't set anything to restrict this from y'all so I'll go have a nose, could be this new skin....
Tan
Tan

Female
Number of posts : 5856

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by reptile ni Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:25 pm

python regius=royal python, this is why i call them royals
i only use ball when talking to Americans or for comic value in picture headings eg check out my balls

everybody has different ways of explaining things. this is mine

reptile ni
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeR Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:14 pm

Yup same here haha
I call them Royals but on american sites i call them Ball Pythons, simply because they'll get confused (some of them anyways) and ask what a royal is lol
JoeR
JoeR
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by lisafay Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:10 am

Also, lately i notice Irish youngsters (!) calling pythons pyTHONS with emphasis on the second syl.
Also albinos are now albEYEnos instead of albeenos.
When I hear an Irish person say albEYEno ball pyTHON it makes me giggle, call me pathetic Very Happy
lisafay
lisafay
Insomniac
Insomniac

Female
Number of posts : 1636
Registration date : 2010-02-24

http://www.thehsi.org

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeR Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:25 am

meh lol i call it albEYEno, i can't say alBEENo :P
and i think i emphasise the THON but i'd have to talk to you to know if i am or not :P
JoeR
JoeR
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down