Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil)

+6
morelia
Tan
Phil
matt
JoeR
pacman
10 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Boas

Go down

het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil) Empty het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil)

Post by pacman Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:56 am

hope you like them
100% het leopard sonoran male(Hans Winner)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

female poss het leopard (Phil)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

pacman
Lurker
Lurker

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-12-15

Back to top Go down

het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil) Empty Re: het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil)

Post by JoeR Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:16 pm

wow amazing snakes!! Love the last one
JoeR
JoeR
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil) Empty Re: het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil)

Post by matt Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Its a bit of a cliché, but you really have to see that 100% het in the flesh to really see whats going on with it, its amazing. It has the all-black eyes of a visual Leopard, and some really cryptic aberrant patterning going on, with great colours all the way through it. Sweet boa.

I have yet to see the pos hets in the flesh, but they look the business in the photos, very interesting morph to be working with.

matt
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:03 am

Matt,the possible hets are awsome,but that 100% is incredible.I saw this guy down in Bens,fantastic looking animal.
Phil
Phil
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:25 am

Beautiful Boas Paul and thanks for sharing. het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil) 792195 The female I had isn't there is she??

Are you thinking of working with any other Boa in the near future?
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by matt Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:39 am

Yeah Phil, thats the cool thing about these possible het Leopards; regardless of the eventual outcome, you still have some really unique looking boas.

It would be interesting to see would two of these possible hets produce similar looking offspring; somewhere in-between Leopards and regular Sonorans.
If so they could be a new morph all on their own, either way these pos hets will be great looking as adults

matt
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:51 pm

If the possible hets prove out to be hets they will produce leopards and normals 66% possible het leopard.If they dont prove out they will produce normals
Phil
Phil
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matt Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:48 pm

Ah yeah I understand that, but i always found it very interesting that with the Leopards, even the possible hets appear to carry some sort of visual indicator. These possible hets are not normal looking Sonorans, so if they are proved out to not be hets, i thought that maybe there might be ome other type of heritable trait going with them. maybe not though.

Cheers for the reply though, and sorry for Hi-Jacking the thread Paul!

matt
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:36 am

Het leopards do not carry a visual marker.Hans winners line has had little out crossing so all his boas look very similar,nothing more.
Phil
Phil
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matt Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:52 pm

OK, my understanding was that there is at least some kind of visual indicator. For instance, that 100% Leopard is set apart from both leopards and wild type Sonorans; its eyes are jet black. Surely that is a visual indicator?

A 100% het albino boa does not show any signs whatsoever of carrying the Albino gene, but as far as I can see there is a visual indicator with the 100% het leopards, if not, then how come it has the black eyes of a visual Leopard?

Also, will all "normal" Sonorans that are born from possible hets, look like these possible hets?

Just to say, I'm only asking all of this out of genuine interest, and I'm not undermining your knowledge of these boas, or arguing for argument's sake, hopefully it is not coming accross as though I am!! I've no interest in that kind of carry on.

matt
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pacman Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:11 pm

The black eyes it only looks like it has matt look at the first photo of the 100%het

pacman
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Phil would no more than this, but AFAIK theres no definitive visual marker that indicates whether a Sonoran is carrying the leopard gene or not. Many hets will show prominent head spears, dark eyes, bold markings, 'different looking' saddles etc. but when you see some bloodlines of Sonorans in, for example, the U.S., some look very like het leopards but have no leopard genetics in their history at all.

Sonorans are very variable and different bloodlines can look quite a bit different. Theres no denying that many het leopards do have a 'certain look' to them, but no one feature is a solid reliable indicator that an animal is carrying the leopard gene. Its the same with Kahl albino BCIs.....the presence of a 'visual marker' was bandied about for het albinos for a while, if I remember correctly it was eye colour, however thats been more or less dispelled as a myth. AFAIK the same applies to het leopards.

Either way, they are stunning looking boas!
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:01 pm

Great info Karl het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil) 792195
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by matt Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:08 pm

OK thanks for that guys, didn't mean to rock the boat, so sorry if I did haha! And yeah, they're definitely class looking bos.

matt
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Matt don't ever worry to ask whatever it is that may cross your mind. If you don't ask you cannot know and I for one found this a very interesting thread (I didn't know either). No boat rocking at all het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil) 792195
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by matt Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:25 pm

OK cheers Tan!

@Paul, yeah I did notice that with the eye alright, you can see the difference when the flash is on, compared to the time we first saw this one in Ben's.. It was a bit of a snapper that day, is it still feisty now? I'll have to call over for a proper look at them

matt
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Cool discussion IMO Matt! Thats what the forum is for after all. Phil knows a lot more on this subject though as he's worked with the trait directly.

A lot of hets for recessive traits share the same problem - many have a certain 'look' to them, but some totally unrelated individuals with no recessive genetics can look similar.
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Hi Matt,its good that you brought this up as there is a common misconception that there are markers for het leopards.I think Karl pretty much explianed it.

As for the black eyes,i have had a friend piont out the black eyes on the possible hets a couple of times.I think it all depends on light,the size of the pupil at the time etc,as the eyes seem to darken and lighten unlike the leopards eye which, asfar as i have seen in my litter are always black.

Quite a few people have now seen my possible hets and any of them will tell you there is a great deal of variation in the litter,some look very similar to the Hans Winner line and some dont.I put this down to the fact that Dan &Colette produced the mother and father of this litter from a hans winner leopard out crossed to a Marcia Lincoln sonoran.So some look like the winner line,some look like the Marcia lincoln line and all the variations inbetween.
Phil
Phil
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pacman Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:08 am

Very interesting great topic ; as I've 3 or these that Phil bread there is a big difference between them even the ones that tony has are totaly different , great looking snakes,

Thanks again Phil

pacman
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by hudsy13 Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:27 pm

well to be honnest, i think even if you bought a poss het leopard and dosnt prove to be a het well it still quite a pretty snake as i think there may be some influence on the litter from the leopard gene itself,
i saw a similar thing in an anery II litter (also sonoran)
the gene (anery II) seemed to have some sort of infulence tho the babies were all poss hets they were all bit darker than the avaerage looking boa,

so i go by,
if is just 66%,
its still worth every pence...(kinda)
hudsy13
hudsy13
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2009-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesMac Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:12 pm

yes matt thanks for asking these questions cause its clears a lot up for me :P

no matter how many forums or articles i read, i cant quite get the understanding, as i was explaining to Phil, though he did help me with a lot of confusion i had going round my head about genetics.

i have the 2 pos het anery type 2's and now the pos het leopard thanks to Phil so this is exactly the type of thing i need to be reading :) cheers guys
JamesMac
JamesMac
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by jonty Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 am

Congratulations on the new additions, very nice indeed het leopard(hans winner)& poss het leapord(Phil) 792195
jonty
jonty
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 2371
Registration date : 2009-04-15

http://www.saintfieldhockeyclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by matt Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:29 am

Had a look at these today, cracking boas

matt
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by St3ve76 Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:37 am

Beautiful snakes dude.

Fantastic colours on the male.
St3ve76
St3ve76
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1029

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down