Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Axolotl Pics

2 posters

Go down

Axolotl Pics Empty Axolotl Pics

Post by moloch gibbon Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Finally got a couple of pics of my adult Axolotls when I was cleaning out their tank a few days ago. It's hard to show size comparison, but the leucistic one is around 11 inches long, the two normals are around 8 and 10 inches respectfully. The tank in the pics is just a holding tank - honestly! :)
Axolotl Pics Axies2
Axolotl Pics Axies1
moloch gibbon
moloch gibbon
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male
Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Axolotl Pics Empty Re: Axolotl Pics

Post by thoth Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:29 am

Thats quite a collection that you have going there, i had to lookup the lemmings, very nice !
thoth
thoth
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by moloch gibbon Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:45 am

thoth wrote:Thats quite a collection that you have going there, i had to lookup the lemmings, very nice !

Thanks Thoth! There have been a few more beasties residing here over the years, and a few that I forgot to put on the signature list such as Chinese fire-bellied Newt, Hissing Cockroaches etc. Mind you, I'm probably like everyone else on EIE in that there are many more species that I'd really love to have! I can but dream... Axolotl Pics 772154 Are you interested in amphibians, Thoth? Hopefully if my Axolotls spawn again I should have some babies and you are welcome to some of them if you like (what's that old saying about putting the chicken before the egg!!!).
moloch gibbon
moloch gibbon
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by thoth Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:40 pm

Never even thought about amphibians !, are they difficult to keep, i remember when i was about 12 or 13 buying a normal frog from the local pet store as it was going to be eaten by a snake they had them in with, kept the pet for about 2 years then released it, at least it got a better chance than in the pet store Axolotl Pics 772154
thoth
thoth
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by moloch gibbon Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:14 am

Thoth, Axolotls are easy to keep providing they have a few basic requirements: good water quality (easy to do if you don't overcrowd or overfeed them), something like a flowerpot to hide in, and a resonable-sized tank to live in. Mine are about 5 years old now and have never been kept in anything but room temperature water. They have bred every year for the past three years, and as long as you get the spawn out into a small hatching container (i.e a bowl or small tank) they will hatch in around three weeks at normal room temperature. The problem arises when they hatch as you need to give them very small food to start with such as Daphnia, and then move them onto proportionately larger food items as they grow. If you over crowd the babies them toes, limbs etc tend to get bitten off. As larger specimens, they can be fed 2-3 times every 10 days or so (the colder it is the less often they eat - mine will go for a month without food in colder weather) on whitebait, earthworms, waxworms etc, basically anything they can fit in their capacious mouth! I give mine a pinkie mouse perhaps three times a year as a treat. I think the secret is not to overfeed and remove leftover food from their tank asap to reduce pollution. Bottom line is they are fascinating creatures that are easy to keep. Thoth, you're very welcome to call over and see my Axolotls and their set up if you wish - their housing is basic yet practical. Hopefully, I can convert youto the joys of amphibians!! Axolotl Pics 772154
moloch gibbon
moloch gibbon
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down