Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genetic defects in Royal pythons

2 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Pythons

Go down

Genetic defects in Royal pythons Empty Genetic defects in Royal pythons

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:02 pm

A discussion arose on another forum on the ethics of breeding some of the morphs of royal pythons (bumblebees and spiders) with known genetic defects. I don't know a lot about genetic defects in reptiles but am more familiar with one of the more common genetic defects in mammals and that is the one causing dwarfism (the achondroplasia gene). In its homozygous form (even in humans) it is lethal and causes still births or early death of newborns (in rabbits they are called peanuts and only live a few days at most, in Dexter cattle they are called bulldogs and very rarely are born alive or die soon after birth. It is also well known in dogs (eg 'Irish' Jack Russel Terriers)
The same gene is also known in birds (Scots Dumpy chicken) and again in its homozygous form is lethal (breeding two heterozygous birds will result in 25% of the eggs being homozygous and these all die back during incubation)
I am curious to know if it is the achondroplasia gene that causes dwarfism in reptiles, for example if two dwarf retics are bred together are all eggs fertile, or do some die back during incubation? Anyone with comments or information?
thanks
John
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Genetic defects in Royal pythons Empty Re: Genetic defects in Royal pythons

Post by lisafay Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Dwarf retics are a natural local variation, their size adapted to particular environments. You cannot carry heterozygous forms of dwarf-ism this way...

Dwarf retics are constantly bred - in the wild and captivity, with no such problems.
lisafay
lisafay
Insomniac
Insomniac

Female
Number of posts : 1636
Registration date : 2010-02-24

http://www.thehsi.org

Back to top Go down