Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

some hedgeie health questions

4 posters

Go down

some hedgeie health questions Empty some hedgeie health questions

Post by hedwigdan Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:12 pm

i was at the vets the other day and my hedgehog fell a bit less than four foot onto the floor (made of tiles).
he landed on his side and was half rolled into a ball will he be ok? hes fine and was on his wheel and has been eating (this happened yesterday afternoon) and as far as i know hes acting totally normal. Also this is unrelated and has been happening for a few months but instead of snuffling he makes tiny high pitched squeaking noises he still sometimes makes the normal snuffling noises but when i pick him up he makes the squeky noises is this ok?

hedwigdan
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

some hedgeie health questions Empty Re: some hedgeie health questions

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi Dan
Any fall from that sort of height could have been serious but it sounds as though you (and he) have been very lucky. (looking on the bright side at least he was in a the best possible place for that to have happened). Just keep a close eye on him for a couple more days and hopefully he will be ok
Our hedgehogs are very quiet normally, the snuffling sound you talk about is probably them huffing which is quite normal when they are startled or disturbed. The only time we have heard a lot of squeaking is during mating when our male squeaks constantly.
Hope this helps
Cheers
John
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwigdan Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:03 am

thanks john i guess it was good that it happened in the vets but they didnt know much about hedgehogs lol and yeah i think the squeaks are just a little sound he makes haha

hedwigdan
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:28 am

Hogs can take a huge distance fall if they land correctly. Their legs (APH now and not hogs in general) cannot sustain high impact and even a fall off a shelf of a few inches can lead to fractures as they will extend the legs forward when stepping off (a bit like you putting your hands out in front of you if you trip) short distance fall, do not have time to react and a hog with a broken leg can do well but nursing is time consuming and not a road you wish to go down. A broken Jaw is another possible problem and this is not something you want to even think about as this is an entirely different ball game. It's all about the distribution of force throughout the impact area and sometimes even the smallest of things can cause major damage and big falls can have nothing but some bruising. Your boy sounds like he fell as many do which is nothing to worry about apart from a little bruising but nothing a nice warm bath wont help sooth and the extra exercise will help with healing too and general circulation.

Anyway, I digress slightly, squeaking noises, can you explain them to me with a little more detail please? What exactly does he do or be doing when you hear this and general behavior over all (remind me how old he is please). When you pick him up what does he do?
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwigdan Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:31 am

thansk for all the info tan he landed on his side and hes been eating and running on his wheel

his squeks are high pitched quick bursts of sound and they usually happen while hes making normal noises as well and when hes doing that hes generally unfurled and looking around the room. hes not the friendliet little guy so when i take out he huffs and puffs and sticks up his spines. hes almost a year old now. general behaviour is normal for a hedgehog he comes out after dark when everything has been quiet for abot 10 minutes he runs on his wheel and feeds normally sometimes he moves around the edges of his cage on his hind legs with his front legs in fornt holding him up.
im not sure if thats normal behiviour.

ive heard that males make hugh pitched squeks when there mating but he behaves normally while hes makeing the noise

hedwigdan
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwigdan Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:28 am

hi guys hedwig has two brown marks on either side of his face. they wernt there yesterday..... they look abit like dirt but im worried :(
hes eating and burrowing fine his temperment hasnt changed whats wrong?

hedwigdan
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pickles Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:57 am

Hi!!! My guys sometimes get poop on themselves when they are running in their wheels Shocked have u tried cleaning it?

Pickles
Lurker
Lurker

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2009-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:08 am

Dan if you can get us an image it would help a lot. As pickles has said, they can get poo all over them and as they have no manners what so ever it could be from rubbing his face against some or if you give kibble he could have some staining from that. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about but a picture with any problem tells us a lot more then words alone.
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwigdan Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:03 am

i dont have a camera or anytihng.....
i tried rubbing the area with water but he wouldnt sit still enough to let me properly clean it. he does have kibble though.... ill give him a really good bath today

hedwigdan
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:24 pm

So how did he scrub up?
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwigdan Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:25 am

hes great now Very Happy still a bit of brown left so im sure it was just dirt or something Very Happy
god he hates baths!

hedwigdan
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwigdan Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:18 am

sorry to have to post here again but hedwig has what looks like a scab inbetween his toes....... i didnt notice any bleeding or anythign yesterday so im wondering how this might of happened and how i should treat it?

hedwigdan
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down