Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ball vs. Royal python

+11
lisafay
JoeR
reptile ni
Tan
Tony W
shelbyb
ConorN
trunx
moloch gibbon
snakeboyadam2k8
morelia
15 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Pythons

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ball vs. Royal python - Page 2 Empty Re: Ball vs. Royal python

Post by lisafay Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:30 pm

americanised galwegian kid Very Happy
lisafay
lisafay
Insomniac
Insomniac

Female
Number of posts : 1636
Registration date : 2010-02-24

http://www.thehsi.org

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeR Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:25 pm

meh

LOL :P
JoeR
JoeR
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiderman Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:54 am

lisafay wrote:Also, lately i notice Irish youngsters (!) calling pythons pyTHONS with emphasis on the second syl.
Also albinos are now albEYEnos instead of albeenos.
When I hear an Irish person say albEYEno ball pyTHON it makes me giggle, call me pathetic Very Happy

Lisa, just looked it up and it depends where you come from, I guess. Here are two sites with the two different pronounciations. It's a "You say tomato, I say tomahto" thing. Data, Dahta etc...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As for Ball Vs Royal, I tend to use Royal as that's typically what most people say over here. I'll agree with
reptile ni and use my balls when appropriate. ;-)

I generally use Scientific names when describing my T's but have recently been told to use the common names because 'lay' people prefer it that way. I've not met one person working in a pet shop (at least where I live) that can either tell me the scientific names nor use them, it's common all the way and it changes so frequently. You'd be surprised what 'Pink toe' refers to in the midlands!

I hate misunderstandings so I always use the scientific names (which I agree does not have to be a direct translation of the common name of whoch there can be many for the same sp.). In snakes keeping as a somewhat newcomer, I've yet to told in a conversation the scientific name of a snake in a conversation. It seems common names are more popular but then again with all the morphs out there, especially in the Royal Python mix, using the scientific name wouldn't describe it accuratly, hence the Spider, Mojave, Albino etc names for descriptive purposes?

Spiderman
Spiderman
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:49 am

It's just local dialect based on Hiberno English and American English I reckon (the latter more so). My father says al-BI-no sometimes and I would find I do too in other yanks company where I tend to find my accent dragging a little but around other Irish folk it's Albeeno but as Don says same terms can mean something totally different dependant on where you are (and I pmsl at that one Don Ball vs. Royal python - Page 2 772154 )
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:49 am

Its scientific names I prefer with certain things too, although a lot of people can't even agree on those either and they do change from time to time e.g. the old 'Elaphe guttata' and 'Python reticulatus' are a thing of the past. As if it all wasn't confusing enough!
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472

Back to top Go down

Post by moloch gibbon Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:53 am

morelia wrote:Its scientific names I prefer with certain things too, although a lot of people can't even agree on those either and they do change from time to time e.g. the old 'Elaphe guttata' and 'Python reticulatus' are a thing of the past. As if it all wasn't confusing enough!

Well said young (ish) Karl! Funny thing though, if animal folk (with the possible exception of invert keepers) use scientific names then they're sometimes referred to as being smart a***s by certain muppets within the animal-keeping community; yet, if a gardener uses scientific names for plants then they are deemed 'to know their stuff'. A strange little planet we live on! Ball vs. Royal python - Page 2 772154
moloch gibbon
moloch gibbon
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male
Number of posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:04 pm

'tis indeedy strange alright - I guess it all depends on an individual person's thirst for knowledge and level of interest.

For me the scientific name adds another dimension to understanding plants, animals etc.....its even interesting how some things get their scientific names and tells a story of where they live, their appearance, who studied them etc.

Back on topic.....for me its alBEEno Royals all the way LOL....Americanising things just cracks me up, unless of course you have American relatives or blood. Its like the golfer Graham McDowell, he does my head right in. Does he speak with a North Antrim accent or an American accent? Apparently he conjured up his interesting accent when he started his golf internship in the States as it helped him pull......yeah right.
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiderman Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:53 pm

morella, I agree with you. Even the scientific names can be misleading, for example the Grammostola rosea (Chillean Rose) was previously named Grammostola spatulata.

Also to add to the confusion, there are different colour morphs ncf - normal colour form and rcf - red colour form. Previously it was a contentious point in the hobby if they were the same subspecies or not.

It wasn't until the two differnt colour morphs appeared within the same egg sac that this was laid to rest.

moloch gibbon wrote:...Funny thing though, if animal folk (with the possible exception of invert keepers) use scientific names then they're sometimes referred to as being smart a***s by certain muppets within the animal-keeping community; yet, if a gardener uses scientific names for plants then they are deemed 'to know their stuff'. ...

This exact thing happened to me previously ironically by the most pedantic person I've ever known (and I know pedantic!). *sigh* We just can't win sometimes. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Spiderman on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just being pedantic! ;-))
Spiderman
Spiderman
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeR Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:56 pm

I love that word lol

Pedantic

Also, they should stop changing the names, whos decision is it anyways?how is the name changed?
JoeR
JoeR
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiderman Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:38 pm

JoeR wrote:Also, they should stop changing the names, whos decision is it anyways?how is the name changed?

I'd like to know how also. I assume it is at some scientific community meeting upon submitted evidence from grass roots members and based on a vote. Can anyone verify this?

Why they change is understandable and I think these lines explain it all:

"Although unique, a scientific name may change. As improved methods of research provide scientists with more information on a species' evolutionary relationships, their scientific name is sometimes changed to reflect this better understanding."

It also appears that the "International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN) is the organization that creates and maintains rules for names and name changes for animals."
Spiderman
Spiderman
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:20 am

morelia wrote:.Americanising things just cracks me up, unless of course you have American relatives or blood. Its like the golfer Graham McDowell, he does my head right in. Does he speak with a North Antrim accent or an American accent? Apparently he conjured up his interesting accent when he started his golf internship in the States as it helped him pull......yeah right.

Funny I also hate to hear him speaking for the very same reason (an Americanised North Antrim accent), lets hope Rory (McIlroy) doesn't go down the same road!
Now what was this topic all about! Ball vs. Royal python - Page 2 772154
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:21 am

As science progresses and we learn new and more accurate ways to determine how closely or distantly related different species are, so current relationships change. Whereas in the past we relied heavily on anatomical and behavioural charactreristics; nowadays most emphasis is on genetic studies - called phylogenetics.

An example is the relatively recent revision of reticulated python taxonomy - once known as Python reticulatus, it was determined that it wasn't as closely related to other species in the genus Python as previously thought, so it was assigned a new genus name to reflect this - Broghammerus. So the old name of Python reticulatus becomes Broghammerus reticulatus.

Because the above example essentially created a new genus by the splitting of an old one, this practice is called SPLITTING; when the reverse happens this is called LUMPING.

morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jonty Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:55 am

Karl in regards to taxonomy who is responsible for any changes made?

jonty
jonty
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 2371
Registration date : 2009-04-15

http://www.saintfieldhockeyclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:10 pm

For fauna its the ICZN - the International Council for Zoological Nomenclature (or something to that effect), although I'm sure other organisations exist that serve a similar function.

Anyone can conduct a taxonomic study to provide evidence for a review of the taxonomic status of a species or group, but its the ICZN who would officiate any changes that are deemed correct. Raymond Hoser tried to change the taxonomy of loads of Aussie snakes, most notably all of the pythons, but his methods are widely regarded by most to be invalid and as far as I know the only changes he proposed which held any weight at all with a good number of taxonomists was separating the Irian Jaya / Papuan carpet python from the other subspecies, and splitting the Black and the Gold (or Southern and Northern)forms of White-lipped python into distinct species, one of which was rather humbly named Leiopython hoserae LOL.

I know, I'm a geek, but this stuff interests me.
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jonty Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:53 am

Cheers Karl, that question has been rattling round my head for a while Ball vs. Royal python - Page 2 792195
jonty
jonty
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 2371
Registration date : 2009-04-15

http://www.saintfieldhockeyclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeR Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:54 am

+1
Thanks!
JoeR
JoeR
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiderman Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:55 am

morelia wrote:As science progresses and we learn new and more accurate ways to determine how closely or distantly related different species are, so current relationships change. Whereas in the past we relied heavily on anatomical and behavioural charactreristics; nowadays most emphasis is on genetic studies - called phylogenetics.

An example is the relatively recent revision of reticulated python taxonomy - once known as Python reticulatus, it was determined that it wasn't as closely related to other species in the genus Python as previously thought, so it was assigned a new genus name to reflect this - Broghammerus. So the old name of Python reticulatus becomes Broghammerus reticulatus.

Because the above example essentially created a new genus by the splitting of an old one, this practice is called SPLITTING; when the reverse happens this is called LUMPING.

Excellent post morelia!

My apologies for injecting some humour after such an informative post but I just couldn't help laughing aloud when I (mis)read Broghammerus. I read it as Boghammerus which instantly reminded me of Brian Cowen and Boggerhammeringus. Ball vs. Royal python - Page 2 237241
Spiderman
Spiderman
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by naja-naja Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:39 pm

i flip between royal and ball python altho probly use ball more. i usually say albino with the 'i' like eye as well.

naja-naja
Unemployed
Unemployed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:27 pm

I love latin/greek/scientific names, because very often they tell you something about the animal, or at least it did with dinosaurs. I was a complete dino-nut as a kid, and from constantly reading translations of their names I picked up a good bit of greek and latin.
Triceratops. Tri-three Cera-Horn Tops-face. Pretty much sums the animal up in one.
Carnotaurus- Meat eating bull. The name comes from the two bull like horns on the animals head.
Baryonyx- Bary-heavy onyx-claw. If you had to mention one distinguishing feature of baryonx, it would be that it sported one big-assed claw.
I'm not as good with Latin as I am with Greek which is a shame, but once you pick up a few bits and pieces it gives you anther level of understanding.
As for the whole Royal vs Ball debate...I'm a Royal guy, but I see the benefit of common names, and as far as they go, Ball python is a good one due to the fact that it tells you something about the animal. I can tell my Crotallus atrox from my Crotallus oreganus but it's handy for your average Tom, Dick or Harry to be able to ID it as a Rattlesnake and know that they should ALL be treated with the same caution regardless of the species.
Rob
Rob

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2