Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bredil x coastel the breeding pair

5 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Pythons

Go down

bredil x coastel    the breeding pair Empty bredil x coastel the breeding pair

Post by redknee5 Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:24 pm

this is the pair that proudced the carpet python hybrids

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
you can see them if you exit and go down the list and find coastelxbredil

redknee5
Lurker
Lurker

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-11-20

Back to top Go down

bredil x coastel    the breeding pair Empty Re: bredil x coastel the breeding pair

Post by Tan Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:06 am

I had to move this thread as it wasn't actually selling anything and there for couldn't remain in callisifieds BUT you can attach this image to your existing for sale advert or people can click on this link if they wish to view the offspring.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

bredil x coastel    the breeding pair Empty Re: bredil x coastel the breeding pair

Post by morelia Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Happy days Colin, glad to see the female Coastal go for you this year. Any shots of how big she is now?

Its interesting how the babies display a mix of colours and patterning from both parents.

Its an interesting breeding too because several years ago Grahame Gow reclassified the Bredl's python as a distinct species, Morelia bredli, based on how isolated they are from other carpet python populations in Oz (well, so we believe anyway) and also the smaller and more numerous scales on Bredl's pythons compared to other carpets.
If his classification is correct then, according to the generally accepted definition of a 'species', this breeding wouldn't have been possible as species are by definition sufficiently distinct from each other that interbreeding is not possible under natural conditions. So is his classification correct? Who knows.
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:52 pm

i think Dr Grahame Cow is wrong as Colin his proved with producing such a nice cluch of bredl's x coastal, and as it has been done with jag coastal x bredl's and bredl's x coastal there is a good site called hybrid heaven if you's want to have a wee look, it just goes to show that the Dr is not alway's right, and im sure he get's payed a fortune for all his research just to be proved wrong Embarassed
Jim
Jim
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:25 pm

A lot of people would agree with ya Jim! Quite a few people still regard the Bredl's as a SUBspecies of carpet python, Morelia spilota bredli, which basically means that it is recognised as being geographically distinct from other carpet pythons to an extent that it looks and appears different, but not sufficiently so to prevent interbreeding. So based on the common definition of a species, and the fact that Bredl's do readily breed with other carpet pythons, it would appear to be a subspecies. This is why a lot of people hate classification LOL!

The thing I take with a pinch of salt is the actual definition of a 'species'..... the most often-quoted definition is that 'the members of a species will interbreed with each other but not with members of other species', i.e. they are reproductively unable to hybridise.
This sounds good until you find out that there are another 3 definitions of a species that have just as much grounding as the most often-quoted definition.

So basically we can't agree on what is and is not a species, or even what a species is! Confusing or what.

Its rare that 2 people researching species classification agree on anything because in reality a 'species' in quite difficult to define. IMO this is because, quite simply, the whole concept of a 'species' is a man-made pigeon-hole into which various forms of animal are slotted according to what we think they are. Of course in nature things aren't so clear-cut and our definitions of a species all have their exceptions....proving that our attempts to fit animals into discrete species is fundamentally flawed.

Anyway, enough of me rambling on about nonsense.......what a cracking pair of snakes! That male Bredl's is a randy 'ol sod alright!
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:02 pm

he is one randy guy he has breed with the coatal and the bredl's this year i would'nt want to be paying his child support lol lol!
Jim
Jim
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by redknee5 Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:06 am

i call him quagmire GIGGTY

redknee5
Lurker
Lurker

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:10 am

pmsl does he do the head bob too....
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Warren_Booth Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 pm

The species definition based on one species ability to breed with another is not generally recognized by most scientists as numerous seperate species can interbred and produce viable offspring despite geographic isolation. It is now often more acceptabel to base this status on the percentage of differentiation at bar coding genes.

Warren

Warren_Booth
Unemployed
Unemployed

Number of posts : 236

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:34 pm

What are bar-coding genes? I haven't studied genetics in a while but I'm guessing they are a set of genes that, like a bar code, can be used to 'identify' a species as discrete from others?

I just don't buy any of the methods used to try and define 'species' as they all have their flaws and exceptions; at the end of the day its an attempt to put animals with certain traits (morphological, behavioural, genetic or otherwise) into discrete pigeon-holes and give them a label.

Any Morelia genetics research I'm aware of gives differing results as to what is a species, subspecies and regional form.....in terms of an animals genes, where do geneticists draw the line between these taxonomic divisions? And surely these divisions are man-made?

Flip me hasn't this thread gone off on a tangent (my fault)
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:09 am

ha ha damien look at the number of posts you have up bredil x coastel    the breeding pair 175403 bredil x coastel    the breeding pair 539738 now we know who you are karl lol bredil x coastel    the breeding pair 25242
Jim
Jim
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:18 am

morelia
Number of posts: 666
Registration date: 2009-03-02

pmsl I knew there was something about him....
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down