Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gtp's are they able to be handled?

5 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Pythons

Go down

gtp's are they able to be handled? Empty gtp's are they able to be handled?

Post by dunlupo84 Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:09 am

really my question is,are green tree pythons able to be handled as you would a royal or a JCP.

i am a hands on guy when it come to my animals and i dont want to have an animal i cant ineract with.

any info or personal experiences would be much appreciated

dunlupo84
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

gtp's are they able to be handled? Empty Re: gtp's are they able to be handled?

Post by Big Dogg Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:57 am

As far as I'm aware, GTPs are usually kept as display animals as they can be a bit on the agressive side. Mind you, its like any other animal - they don't all have the same temperment/personality. I'm sure there's a few GTPs out there that can be handled just fine.

That being said, I've never owned a GTP, so have no personal experience with them.

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 309
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:46 am

GTPs are best kept as display-only animals. Sure there are ones that can be handled and can have a good nature to them but they can be such a fickle snake, especially when young, that its best to only handle when absolutely necessary such as if a vet visit is required. I have kept a few GTPs, and still own one, and have NEVER handled it....because I don't need to. Its great eye candy and I have other snakes that are easily handled.

Many heavily arboreal snakes have quite weak spinal columns, especially when young, that it can be very easy to damage them during handling......carpet pythons and other boids are much better and sturdier animals for handling.
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony W Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:53 am

gtp's are they able to be handled?
by dunlupo84 on Sat Jul 10 2010, 16:09

really my question is,
are green tree pythons able to be handled as you would a royal or a JCP.
i am a hands on guy when it come to my animals and i dont want to have an animal i cant ineract with.
any info or personal experiences would be much appreciated

Hey Dunlop84,

Ditto Karl's comments....
I've just replied to a similar query on another forum....in my answer below I club the 3 more common arboreals together....

It's fair to say that most ATB, ETB and GTP’s aren’t your classic “handling” snake in comparison to your average boa or royal….[not that they're average, I love them too]gtp's are they able to be handled? 792195

These arboreals are snakes that have evolved to survive a highly specialized lifestyle, they are certainly not as pliable/malleable as your average hobby snake. You’ve heard of folk advising not to handle younger snakes [GTP’s in particular] for fear of damaging a particularly sensitive skeletal system…not practical of course, however, this advice certainly underscores every keepers concerns about how easy it is to damage a fragile animal in it’s early development.

Further, they may be cited as nervous, sensitive in nature and easily stressed, this combination leads to the animal’s defence mechanism which is simply aggression…. and that particularly in a vivarium setting….there’s nowhere to escape to….

Don’t think I’m painting a grim picture, I’m really not, I’ve seen plenty of totally tractable individual snakes and you can be absolutely certain that most keepers know exactly what they can and can’t get away with….as such they manage their own animals with envious ease...

I adopt the “less is more” approach with my arboreals, this approach offers my snakes as stress free an environment as I’m able to offer….not withstanding water changes, twice daily spraying and periodic substrate changes…and feeding of course!

For me personally, and I’m sure I speak for many arboreal keepers, providing the means by which these amazing snakes flourish [and getting it right] is great reward and it’s mighty satisfying. Keepers that have progressed to breeding, incubating and hatching [GTP’s] are on another level and hats off to them…

If you want to have a snake that you handle every day maybe these 3 species aren’t for you…..if you want to try your hand at successfully maintaining any of the arboreals mentioned you’ll find few greater rewards out there…

Oh, I nearly forgot….you will get nailed!! Very Happy

Link below to Arboreal Update in Caresheets & Breeding

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Drop me a line if you need more help....

Last edited by Tony W on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tony W
Someone turn off my internet

Male
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2009-08-23

http://www.tjreptiles.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dunlupo84 Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:28 pm

thanks tony,appreciate the words of wisdom, it does depress me though,im just at that stage where i want a new snake and my mind changes everyday, so now im thinking of a suriname bcc thats should do for now!!

dunlupo84
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony W Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:34 pm

And I think any BCI/BCC is a great choice....nice to see folk researching options prior to taking the plunge!!

Tony W

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hudsy13 Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:14 pm

excellent choice Suriname boa are great looking and to handle,
ive been on look out for true red-tails more to Guyana's those
i love the tails on all true red-tails you wouldn't be disappointed if you get one!
hudsy13
hudsy13
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2009-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony W Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:42 pm

dunlupo84 wrote:thanks tony,appreciate the words of wisdom, it does depress me though
,im just at that stage where i want a new snake and my mind changes everyday,
now im thinking of a suriname bcc thats should do for now!!

Ha!ha! We none of us ever truly get away from that "stage" it's kind of like a sickness isn't it? It grinds and gnarls away in the background until you've managed to acquire....then miraculously it disappears....for a few weeks or if you're real lucky months!! gtp's are they able to be handled? 772154 then it returns... gtp's are they able to be handled? 862177

Tony W

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hudsy13 Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:38 pm

lol! how very true tony!!
hudsy13
hudsy13
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2009-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down