Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potential 3 legged hog

2 posters

Go down

Potential 3 legged hog Empty Potential 3 legged hog

Post by brambrac Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:49 am

Hi all. I have an APH that has quite a large swelling on her back leg which she has had for the past few months. She has been to the vets but is the most difficult hog ever when in the vets office. From what he could see on her initial visit the vet thinks she may have broken the leg during pregnancy and it has formed a callous around the break.(apparently they pull calcium from the bones during pregnancy to help the developing embryos which weakens the bones). I took her back in this week as the lump appears to be getting bigger. Bryn as usual rolled into a ball and refused to come out so she is now going to spend the day at the vets on wednesday in the hope that if she is left to her own devices she may go for a wander allowing the vet to see the leg a bit better if not she will have an anaesthetic while she is in and possibly an exray if needed. I am preparing for the worst case scenario at the minute and wondered if anyone knows if she would be able to manage if she has to have the leg amputated?
This may not happen but I want to be prepared just in case so I can do the best for my little girl.
Sorry for the long post.

brambrac

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Potential 3 legged hog Empty Re: Potential 3 legged hog

Post by Tan Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:51 am

Don't be sorry for the post, it provides the details we need in order to try answer your question. Firstly to address the calcium deficiency. While pregnant, the developing young do take their required nutrient from the body and will drain the calcium from the mother (biggest source being the bones) IF she is not taking in the required amount from her diet. Please do not take this the wrong way but it is obvious that your girls diet is not correct and her dietary requirements where not met during pregnancy. This is not your fault if you went on the diet your breeder told you to use or a lot of the misinformation around the internet about these animals, most of it being incorrect.

Also it is not uncommon for them to develop abscesses which can be very hard but also tumors or as your vet think which is rarer but still happens, a callous although this should not be growing now. The other two would be more common and with a noticeably growing lump I would have opted for the other two before this.

If she does have to have the leg off she will manage just fine but you would have to make some alterations for her cage wise, not many and her mobility would be near as perfect as it had been once the initial healing and brain adjustments have been made which do not take long. The amputation is painful and she would require painkillers and antibiotics and this is the crucial part of her healing as you really need to step husbandry up to reduce the chance of infection but it's not as scary or uncommon as you may think.

Is there any possible way you can get a photo of the leg?
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brambrac Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks for that I will try to get a photo over the next day or so though she is not the most co operative hog in the world.. I am currently limited as to internet acces but will pm you tomorrow at some point with regards the diet. You pretty much said what I thought with regards the diagnosis but it is very difficult for the vet to get a good look when she is curled up in a ball unless you put her on the table and pretend to ignore her. Hopefully he will get a good look on Wednesday while at the vets.

brambrac

Back to top Go down

Post by brambrac Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:44 am

Well Bryn is back home from the vets. She has ahad a biopsy taken from the lump which ahs been sent for analysis. We should hopefully have the results by early next week so will be able to decide on a plan of action from there. The vet said that the lump itself is surrounding the leg. He manages to get the lump out my squeezing it out of the incision so it was encapsulated within the leg. He has removed a fair bit of the lump which has released a bit of pressure on the leg which will make her more comfortable in the short term.
He has left the wound open to allow any fluid to drain if it needs to, he also had a feel of the rest of the leg and said he couldn't feel any enlarged lymph nodes which I'm hoping is a good sign. Fingers crossed the growth is nothing too serious if he can he will treat her with medication but if this is not an option then he will amputate unless the growth turns out to be cancerous.

brambrac

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:53 am

I'm really glad it went well. Potential 3 legged hog 990653 If it was a cancer that made it to the lymph glads there would be no happy ending as this is devastating but I'm hoping the results are clear or something that can be worked with at the very least.

Maybe try a little hydrotherapy with her once the wound has healed up externally. It will aid the healing process internally and also keep her active with out much pain involved.

You and Bryn are in our thoughts
Tan
Tan

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brambrac Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:34 am

Thanks for that I will give the hydrotherapy a try though I'm not sure she'll be too keen on the idea. She seems fine in herself even though she keeps having a paddy and throwing her food dish across the cage but I think thats just because she is in a different cage and hasn't got her wheel at the minute as I want her leg to heal a bit first so she doesn't make her leg all poopy. Hopefully the results should be in by Monday.All fingers and toes are crossed.

brambrac

Back to top Go down

Post by brambrac Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:28 am

Well the test results finally came back and the lump is cancerous (I think he said it was a sarcoma) The vet said he is fairly sure that it hasn't reached the blood stream yet as when he took the biopsy he couldn't feel any swelling or enlargement of the lymph nodes. So she went into the vets this morning to have the leg amputated. I haven't heard anything from them yet and the vet asked for me to give them a call at about 4pm to see how she is getting on so I'm hoping no news is good news. Fingers are crossed for a good recovery.

brambrac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down