Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

excavator clay and leos?

2 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Lizards :: Geckos

Go down

excavator clay and leos? Empty excavator clay and leos?

Post by deevtec Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:09 pm

ok so im thinking of doing a set up for my leos using excavator clay im aware of the dangers in using play sand but have had a few of my guys on it before and currently keep them on beech chippings! As excavator clay dries hard should there be anything to worry about? Also if i get fed up how do i remove it? just smash with a hammer? and can it be cleaned off glass after a while? any help will be great.

cheers in advance Dee

deevtec

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-12-29

Back to top Go down

excavator clay and leos? Empty Re: excavator clay and leos?

Post by morelia Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:16 am

Heres a previous post mentioning excavator sand....http://www.emerald-isle-exotics.com/t2892-excavator-clay

I use play sand and have never had a problem. The problems seem to arise when the leos grab food on the sand and inadvertently swallow some of it. I feed small inverts in a dish and very few ever end up on the sand. Being small they stay in the dish and are an easy mouthful; larger inverts would more likely either climb out of the dish or be taken away by the leo and dragged against the ground somewhere before swallowing.

As the general rule for feeding most lizards is no livefoods that are larger than the distance between their eyes, this works well for leos if fed in a dish. I also house all leos separately as when more than one is feeding at the dish it can result in snatching and grabbing, so some livefood can find its way onto the sand.

If you opt for the excavator sand do let us know what you think of it as I've never used it personally.

Last edited by morelia on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:19 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Late night = late morning. Its the holidays. I'm allowed to.)
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by deevtec Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:35 am

after posting on rfuk some very valid points were made

1st up was heating if using heatmats which i DONT then unless it was a ver thin layer the heat would not come through. im ok there as i use reflector bulbs

2nd was the cleaning of their urine although mine always excret in the same place as ive learned is common in leos so guessing they urinate at the same time this will also be in thar location, so there i propose some play sand.

but also what ive learned on RFUK is that irish people dont know anything and everything we say gets slated or were told its wrong.

deevtec

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down