Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My girl's gravid!

2 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Boas

Go down

My girl's gravid! Empty My girl's gravid!

Post by Demoniqe Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:51 pm

A few weeks ago I posted this thread:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Anyway, I thought she might have been gravid because she was plump in her back half.
But I brought photos of her up to Ben in the Reptile Haven, he looked at them and said she wasn't gravid.

Today, I left her up to the Reptile Haven along with my male albino, my royal python and my iguana for Graham to look after whilst I'm on holiday.
I opened the box the female boa was in and Ben said she was definately looking gravid as her scales were stretched. He asked me after her behaviour and I mentioned I had seen her lying stretched out in the last week. She's due to shed in the next week too.

The thing is, I heard that lying stretched out was a sign that babies may be arriving, but she's still taking food, she hoovered up a large (not jumbo) rat five days ago.

Ben DID say that she needs to be dropping any potential babies soon otherwise they'll be reabsorbed, Graham's albino het reabsorbed and the female salmon in the shop reabsorbed as well.

Hopefully something will result, but if not, I'm just happy having a fine healthy snake.

Demoniqe

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

My girl's gravid! Empty Re: My girl's gravid!

Post by Warren_Booth Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:13 am

A gravid female will not re-absorb babies. She can, in the very early stages of development, reabsorb infertile ova, but she is not capably of reabsorbing actual babies.
As far as lying streched out, some do this throughout gestation. My sonoran boas have never sat in the characteristic beehive for any lenght of time. They normally lie stretched out over the heat. My Colombians and Nicaraguans are different. They sit in the characteristic beehive pose throughout gestation, then become very active in the last few days before birth. I also have females that eat throughout gestation (albeit smaller meals) and others that refuse. One thing that is an issue here is that you moved her. if she is gravid, this can be detrimental to any developing babies. Movement later in gestation often leads to stillbirth, whereas early on often leads to kinking in the babies.

Warren

Warren_Booth
Unemployed
Unemployed

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Demoniqe Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:57 pm

She's due to come home in about two weeks time

If she hasn't deposited young by then and is still showing signs of being gravid I think I'll leave her on holiday until she either gives birth or reabsorbs any ova

She's 6ft long and Ben said she's big and healthy

Demoniqe

Back to top Go down

Post by Demoniqe Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:58 pm

There's a chance that the 'baby bump' could have been the massive poo that Graham said she did when I called him earlier today.

He DID say that she was still looking big though, so there is a still chance that she might be gravid

Demoniqe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down