Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is it doing

2 posters

Go down

What is it doing Empty What is it doing

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Thu May 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Can anyone explain why one of our tarantulas has apparently barricaded itself into its lair. It is a Brazilian Black, Grammostola pulchra and is living in a fairly large viv, it has a piece of cork bark under which it has dug out a lair , today it has spun a load of web over the entrance to its lair and I can't see how it can get out without destroying its web. Is this normal behaviour and if so what is it doing.
What is it doing 21May20092006_0101_1922492
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

What is it doing Empty Re: What is it doing

Post by trunx Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 am

its very normal behaviour. i kept web spinning asaisns and african, and i had tanks you would of thought just contained soil and web. it sometimes takes a spider months to do its thing in new surroundings........................
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Fri May 22, 2009 1:25 am

oh aye, its just securing itself. itll be able to get out if it wants.....................
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Fri May 22, 2009 11:12 am

trunx wrote:its very normal behaviour. i kept web spinning asaisns and african, and i had tanks you would of thought just contained soil and web. it sometimes takes a spider months to do its thing in new surroundings........................

It came with a lot of web which we moved into its new viv, it has spun web around the back and side of its hide but this is the first time it actually barricaded itself in so to speak, it came out last night and when it went back in it spun more web, I have been told that when they are about to moult that they quite often do this. Thanks for the info
John
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Fri May 22, 2009 11:34 am

it could be a molt. if it is itll lay a nice web blanket on the floor too, then itll probably bring its molt out. like taking out the rubbish. i miss spiders...........................
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:49 am

trunx wrote:it could be a molt. if it is itll lay a nice web blanket on the floor too, then itll probably bring its molt out. like taking out the rubbish. i miss spiders...........................

You were quite right trunx, a couple of days ago when we looked in the viv the spider could be seen in its lair upside down on a lovely silk blanket. It shed overnight with no problems and is now a lovely black all over, hasn't bought out the shed skin yet so we can't find out its sex just yet.
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down