Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leopard geckos not eating

3 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Lizards :: Geckos

Go down

leopard geckos not eating Empty leopard geckos not eating

Post by molloyzer20 Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:56 pm

hello can someone help me ive four leos none have eating properly in month or more . they are still active and appear healthy the only noticeble is my normal morph females tale has gone very skinny to what is was. is there anything i can do or why are they not eating. can someone help please

molloyzer20

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-12-15

Back to top Go down

leopard geckos not eating Empty Re: leopard geckos not eating

Post by lisafay Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi there!
Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with them, it can be pretty worrying.

Do you keep all four together, and what sexes and ages are they?
Also, has anything been changed of late in their environment, and have you had them long?
lisafay
lisafay
Insomniac
Insomniac

Female
Number of posts : 1636
Registration date : 2010-02-24

http://www.thehsi.org

Back to top Go down

Post by molloyzer20 Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:59 pm

i have 2 seperate set ups. in 1 ive a 1 year old female with a 1 year old male thats there rough age have them about a year. in second set up a 5 month female and a 8 month male have them since xmas. no nothng hs changed in enviroment

molloyzer20

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by lisafay Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Ok, the first pair may be mating as they are about the right age to begin. The boys tend to get one thing on their minds, and the females can go right off their food for periods, especially if the male is bothering them with persistent mating attempts.

In my opinion, a male should never be constantly housed with a single female as he will persecute her and mate with her persistently. I would separate these two for now, and only put them together when you want to breed. That is the only situation in which males and females should be co-housed.
If you have a look under your female's belly under a strong light, you should be able to tell if eggs are forming.
It is probably worth noting that once a female begins to produce fertilized eggs, the male does not to be with her for the rest of the season, as females retain sperm and will continue to lay fertile eggs (usually two every 2-4 weeks) for a number of months.

As for the second pair, they should not be cohabiting in the first place. Your female is too young to breed, but your male is plenty old enough to try - this will stress her out, perhaps injure her and even cause her to become eggbound and seriously ill and die.

You can always separate into tubs and do not need to go to great expense to purchase new set-ups. But it is essential that you separate the second pair immediately, and I personally would separate the first pair also and work on getting them to feed again. The only possible reason for leaving the first pair together is if the female is not yet forming eggs, and you want to breed them.

Let us know how you get on!

Lisa
lisafay
lisafay
Insomniac
Insomniac

Female
Number of posts : 1636
Registration date : 2010-02-24

http://www.thehsi.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:57 am

Great info Lisa. So how are the geckos doing now Molloy, any changes?
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by molloyzer20 Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 pm

They are still yet to eat . there is no sign of fighting or mating . they have been together since very young nvr any fighting chasing of any kind all very docile geckos. still very active drinking plenty. i am going to get few different food types at the kend to see if it will help. Any other ideas or solutions to the problem ?

molloyzer20

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down