Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pedipalp Size Difference heterometrus spinifer

4 posters

Go down

Pedipalp Size Difference heterometrus spinifer Empty Pedipalp Size Difference heterometrus spinifer

Post by Moonstone Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:53 am

Take a look at the attached photos of two scorpions. They are both the same species but look at the difference in size of the pedipalps. The last time I checked the pectines the scorpions were much smaller. Need to rig up something better to check them again to detirmine if they are male and female as last time it looked like they were both male.

Pedipalp Size Difference heterometrus spinifer P0602111

Pedipalp Size Difference heterometrus spinifer P0602112
Moonstone
Moonstone
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Pedipalp Size Difference heterometrus spinifer Empty Re: Pedipalp Size Difference heterometrus spinifer

Post by Dutchology Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:55 am

Are these housed together? The lower in the second pic looks like a heavily gravid female.
Dutchology
Dutchology
Unemployed
Unemployed

Female
Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-03-11

http://www.reptiles.ie

Back to top Go down

Pedipalp Size Difference heterometrus spinifer Empty Re: Pedipalp Size Difference heterometrus spinifer

Post by Moonstone Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:34 pm

These have been housed together for the best part of 11 months. The scorpion which looks gravid has looked like this before. This evening I have since checked their pectines, the potentially gravid of the two does have smaller pectines. The thinner pedipalps and smaller pectines do suggest that she is a female. Sexual maturity in the wild my take upto 4 yaers but in captivity less than a year. All points in the right direction. Might put her in a container of her own although this species are gregarious.
Moonstone
Moonstone
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutchology Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:54 pm

I'd agree with you in saying to pop her in on her own. If she has looked like this before, there is a possibility that she has dropped babies before and that one or both of them munched the little critters as and when they were emerging, which can happen.

Best of luck because I'd definitely say she's getting ready to drop any day now. It's hard to tell from the picture but sometimes you can even see the young insider her. My eyes may be playing tricks on me but there is a hint of small white areas inside her abdomen that is showing on the pics.
Dutchology
Dutchology
Unemployed
Unemployed

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Really interesting read guys and best of luck with the female. Nice to see someone else who keeps this species too.

Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonstone Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Moved the suspected male into a different tank last night. Fingers crossed.
Moonstone
Moonstone
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonstone Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:04 pm

The scorpion which I had hoped was gravid has just moulted. It's skin has not hardened yet so it wont show up under UV light although the shed skin does. I will leave it and compare it with the other tomorrow evening.
Moonstone
Moonstone
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeR Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Very interesting thread.
Cool pics too!!
Keep us posted moonstone :)
JoeR
JoeR
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonstone Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:58 pm

I can confirm that the scorpion was not gravid. It was saving up for a moult. It seems strange that the two moulted within a week or so of each other. Thier behaviour has also changed, before the moult they would have run now they stay and confront, quite aggressive. Will put them back together this weekend.
Moonstone
Moonstone
Lurker
Lurker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutchology Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Pity... Fingers crossed for a successful breeding for you.
Dutchology
Dutchology
Unemployed
Unemployed

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down