Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Take two

+2
trunx
snakeboyadam2k8
6 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Pythons

Go down

Take two Empty Take two

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Mon May 04, 2009 5:34 am

A few days ago we posted a query on one of our royal pythons feeding in its water bowl and got some interesting answers/comments
Our second royal (both 08 hatched) had not fed for about 8 weeks, it recently shed and last night was offered a small rat weaner to get it started again, as can be seen from the following pics it did exactly the same as the other one!
Following the comments on the first posting the rat was thawed in hot water this time as opposed to natural thawing as we did before. From this second feeding I think we can now rule out the thawing process and the size of the prey as likely explanations for this behaviour ( this was a much smaller rat). As neither snake put more than their head and a few inches of their body into the water I don't think that trying to hide is a likely explanation either. Possibly as Trunx said they did it because they did it! Take two 772154

Cruise feeding 31/04/2009
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Khyber feeding 3/05/2009
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Take two Empty Re: Take two

Post by trunx Mon May 04, 2009 5:48 am

really john, i reckon its just one of them things. ive had royals do it, macks do it, bloods do it even atb's do it...........
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Mon May 04, 2009 6:01 am

trunx wrote:really john, i reckon its just one of them things. ive had royals do it, macks do it, bloods do it even atb's do it...........

Its really interesting Trunx that so many species of snake seem to exhibit this behaviour, that being the case I feel that there must be some logical reason for this rather that they just do it because they want to!
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Mon May 04, 2009 6:24 am

I find this really interesting behaviour (as I never new about this before these threads). I agree John that for so many to do it, it does seem to be for a reason and not just because, although still a possibility. Maybe they just prefer them wet scratch There has to be someone out there who has studied habbits and behaviour and could shed some light on this.
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 04, 2009 7:30 am

Maybe it's to do with the fact you keep them together. They will feel stressed by the other snake in the vivarium, thus explaining why they'd want to 'hide' in the water bowl while eating. Just a thought...

Back to top Go down

Post by morelia Mon May 04, 2009 11:50 am

'tis certainly something that happens on occasion here, I've had a few ideas as to the cause in my own circumstances but never gave it much thought beyond that as its never lead to any problems. Now snakes defecating in water bowls all the time - thats a problem I'd like to solve LOL! But taking food to the water bowl to eat it - thats anyones guess :)
morelia
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma M Mon May 04, 2009 3:15 pm

I have 9 royal pythons and none of mine have ever done it, however all mine are kept separate and fed a wet rodent. It may just be one of those little mysteries but there were some good explanations given as possible reasons why.

Emma M
Lurker
Lurker

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Mon May 04, 2009 4:50 pm

John has a really good set up for both of these snakes and they live seperate as I do remember pics posted before we went down a few months back (please correct me if I am wrong John but I'm 99% sure it was these guys) so I think the 'hiding' in the water bowl especially when they have hides may not be an option but it's really interesting reading all your thoughts on this. I am very curious about this.
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Tanpira wrote:John has a really good set up for both of these snakes and they live seperate as I do remember pics posted before we went down a few months back (please correct me if I am wrong John but I'm 99% sure it was these guys) so I think the 'hiding' in the water bowl especially when they have hides may not be an option but it's really interesting reading all your thoughts on this. I am very curious about this.

The pictures of the two different snakes eating are eating in the exact same place. Granted he could have the same setup for each, but I doubt he would put the leaves in the same place...

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Mon May 04, 2009 5:54 pm

The pictures of the two different snakes eating are eating in the exact same place. Granted he could have the same setup for each, but I doubt he would put the leaves in the same place..

Fair point and no offence meant. I was mearly going on memory of the past posts (or what I thought was Johns snakes) and had not looked at the plants but still for some reason had this in my head that they had seperate houses.
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Tue May 05, 2009 12:54 am

i think this is gettin way to much interest. all my snakes lived alone and some did it. did they strike and just happen to land in the water bowl john or did they actually take it there? either way its not going to be a big revelation in snake behaviour, its one of them things...............
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 05, 2009 5:39 am

trunx wrote:i think this is gettin way to much interest. all my snakes lived alone and some did it. did they strike and just happen to land in the water bowl john or did they actually take it there? either way its not going to be a big revelation in snake behaviour, its one of them things...............

I agree. Just be thankfull it's actually eating! Take two 772154

Back to top Go down

Post by snakeboyadam2k8 Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 am

trunx wrote:i think this is gettin way to much interest.

I didn't realise there was a limit to the interest that a posting was allowed to generate, I thought that the point of the forum was to allow people to raise animal related issues and for people to comment if they so wish, if its too much for you I would suggest you don't bother to log on! :evil:

To answer your question neither snake struck and fell into the water bowl, both deliberately took the rat into the water, whereas before they often took it into one of their hides. Both snakes are housed together and have been since hatching, they normally stick together and are often found shoehorned into the smallest hide available, I understand that this is quite normal Royal behaviour.

Tan, previous postings showed two 4' vivs one on top of the other, one is for the Royals and the other for a pair of beardies, hence the possible confusion as we have never stated this before.

As for being thankful that they are feeding do I assume that the only postings in future are only permitted to be questions about why snakes are not feeding? scratch
snakeboyadam2k8
snakeboyadam2k8
I just can't stop
I just can't stop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Tue May 05, 2009 9:47 am

[quote="snakeboyadam2k8
I didn't realise there was a limit to the interest that a posting was allowed to generate, I thought that the point of the forum was to allow people to raise animal related issues and for people to comment if they so wish, if its too much for you I would suggest you don't bother to log on! :evil:
[/quote]
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by trunx Tue May 05, 2009 9:57 am

your dummy is on the floor john, want it back?..............

yes a forum is for people to share interest and comment till their wee hearts are content blah blah blah. i did comment as i wished ' i think this is getting way to much interest' is a comment, no? my point is that its a normal thing to happen, nothing more, i kept hold of all my toys too.

"As for being thankful that they are feeding do I assume that the only postings in future are only permitted to be questions about why snakes are not feeding? "
he was only saying its a good job they are eating as when they stop, and they most likely will sometime, that you might have more concer than them eating in some water. no need for that...............
trunx
trunx
I've no home to goto
I've no home to goto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 05, 2009 10:12 am

snakeboyadam2k8 wrote:As for being thankful that they are feeding do I assume that the only postings in future are only permitted to be questions about why snakes are not feeding? scratch

Not at all. I was just making that comment as I've a couple of snakes not feeding at the moment and would give any thing for them to eat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma M Tue May 05, 2009 12:50 pm

good old forum slabbering back again and really not needed as usual! Rolling Eyes I find this quite an interesting topic, little different from the norm, thankyou for posting it John. Very Happy

Emma M
Lurker
Lurker

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Fri May 08, 2009 2:14 am

John that would be where I got the idea from and sorry for mixing it up. Not that it matters as all I remember is some wonderful setups. Also you can post as much as you want about what ever you want and yes the idea of the forum is to generate interest and I think it is a great topic so please feel free to post what ever you deem fit.

Guys although you are all entitled to your opinions please keep in mind we would like you to refrain from rude or personal jibes towards each other as it lowers the standard of the forum (not to mention letting your self down) and also may make some of our members, new comers or guests feel unwelcome and this is not the standard we want to set. The forum is for all, expert to novice and no topic should be deemed stupid nor should the poster be made feel so.
Tan
Tan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by midori Wed May 13, 2009 1:20 pm

I too would just be glad they are eating. I personally keep all my royasl seperate, and if they were together and one stopped eating, the first thing I would assume was stress and I would seperate.

As to why they are taking them in the water bowl to eat, I think Em could be right and it is a 'hiding' thing, or the simple fact a wet rodent is easier to swallow than a dry one. (hence we use wet food when assist or force feeding)

None o fmy Royals do it, unles it is accidental.

midori
Lurker
Lurker

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Pythons

Permissions in this forum: