Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

phantom pregnancy??

2 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Snakes :: Boas

Go down

phantom pregnancy?? Empty phantom pregnancy??

Post by chappers Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:50 am

bit of a question for the more experience boa breeders,

can boas go thro a phantom pregnancy like a dog or such would??

i was almost positive my female hog island was gravid, she piled on the weight was almost constantly on the heat mat and was on her side on a couple of occasions???

i seen them locked once at least and counted from then which was start of july, then check with the shed which was around the 3rd week in July.....

there was no slugs or anything born so im was little stumped.

anyone shed any light or was i just so hopeful that i imagined all the signs?????

cheers
chappers
chappers
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

phantom pregnancy?? Empty Re: phantom pregnancy??

Post by Tony W Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:34 am

Paul, was the shed late July the POS [Post Ovulation Shed]?? If so you have around a hundred or so days to wait which would put parturition around.....mid November or so....I had to recalculate my Rainbow's due date after some worldly wise advice from Warren [what would we do without the Forum's gurus phantom pregnancy?? 80176 ]...so all may be just cooking away inside your girl nicely.....all these sloughs and sheds can be confusing to us beginners at the breeding game....I think I'm about right in the above info, hopefully Phil, Warren or Karl can confirm the same or re-advise...
keep your fingers crossed you still have a while to wait me thinks.....of course all of the above on the assumption that ova were fertilised in the first place... Wink

Last edited by Tony W on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:26 am; edited 3 times in total

Tony W
Someone turn off my internet

Male
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2009-08-23

http://www.tjreptiles.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony W Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:13 am

Paul,

Further, have a browse through this online resource...pretty useful...phantom pregnancy?? 792195

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tony W

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chappers Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:39 am

nah she had her shed donkeys ago, her due date woulda been 3rd week of july, shes well and truely past it, and is back to her normal size now. so unles shes EXTREMELY overdue and only has 1-2 babies in her id be very surprised if she is. lol

ill have a read thro that when im not supposed to be working. lol
chappers
chappers
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony W Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:42 am

chappers wrote:
i seen them locked once at least and counted from then which was start of july, then check with the shed which was around the 3rd week in July.....

I'm sure you're right Paul,

in your note you state that you saw them locked...roughly when, did you observe ovulation in your ♀ after copulation? Again roughly when? Slough after ovulation [post ovulation shed] what month?

Most folk state parturition 105 days after POS...this can be variable, some folk bracket 100-120 days...this is 3 and a half to four months!

Females reducing in size can also indicate they are weeks from birth as the neonates absorb the remaining yolk...in the case of infertile ova, perhaps the reduction in size is due to reabsorption of ova by the female.....

Like I said at the beginning, I'm sure you're right....I'm hoping my revised prediction of sometime in October works out for us as the particular BRB ♀ we're waiting on is a first timer and was not as large as I would have liked at the outset....we'll see...all in good time!!

Tony W

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chappers Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:14 am

They wer locked roughly 2nd week march she shed week before lock n then shed again 2weeks after. I lost my wee book with dates in it buts weeks are about rite cos remember seein her get remarkably bigger within a week. Lol which i took to be her pov swell.
Ahh wel next year mite be more fruitful with any luck.

Oh and by the way my nephew is after a brb so heres open she does a good job!!
chappers
chappers
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down