Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFT eggs

4 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Lizards :: Geckos

Go down

AFT eggs Empty AFT eggs

Post by daveysilcock Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:42 am

would any1 have any advice for african fat tail gecko eggs? ive had four sets the past month and they keep sinking
daveysilcock
daveysilcock
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Back to top Go down

AFT eggs Empty Re: AFT eggs

Post by mark_d Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:03 pm

sounds like they might be drying out to quick. get an airtight tub butter or something similar but preferably clear to save disturbing the eggs. next put a few holes in the lid. half fill with your incubation medium, i like to use exo terra plantation soil and had great success with the leos and beardies.

dampen medium down and place eggs in and cover. you don't want to see condensation on the lid as this can drop and ruin eggs. but it shouldn't dry to quick either. it may be easier to put more small holes in lid and cover with cellotape to get the balance right. if you haveno eggs at the minute i suggest doing a trial run.

oh chinese tubs well cleaned are very good if not a little brittle so be careful when putting holes in the lid
mark_d
mark_d
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by sleepysundays Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:20 pm

hi davy i use damp vermiculite in an empty cricket tub with holes in the lid ,make a small dent in the vermiculite and set the egg in so it wont roll around. i also check my tubs every few days if the vermiculite starts to dry out i simply spray some water to dampen it .

the vermiculite should be damp not soaking just keep an eye on the eggs every few days or 1 a week .

hows the gecko you bought of me last year i met you and your dad at yorkgate
sleepysundays
sleepysundays
Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by lisafay Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:15 pm

sounds like they're lacking moisture alright, unless you notive fungal growth on them as they cave in, which would suggest too much moisture.
Just shows everyone has different ways that work. I use an airtight (chinese!) container filled with equal weight measures of water/vermiculite (eg. 20g water to 20g vermiculite) which i open every few days to let air circulate. (don't put airholes in)The airtight container ensures the medium doesn't dry out, and i can incubate different eggs in the same substrate for a whole season with a 100% hatch weight Wink

Sometimes you can plump eggs back up by adding moisture - but be careful not to add too much. I always find that it's better to have your medium slightly on the dry side rather than slightly on damp side. Sometimes when eggs cave in, I find it's because they haven't been laid in a damp laybox in the viv or because they weren't fertile in the first place. Try candling them to see if they're fertile. You should see a rosy red network of veins inside the egg with early-ish stage eggs, yellow hue has always meant infertile for me. Then go from there.
Also, what are you using to incubate the eggs, and where are your temps sitting?
Best of luck with any more,
Lisa
lisafay
lisafay
Insomniac
Insomniac

Female
Number of posts : 1636
Registration date : 2010-02-24

http://www.thehsi.org

Back to top Go down