Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The story of Gertrude

2 posters

:: Animal Chat :: Lizards :: Geckos

Go down

The story of Gertrude Empty The story of Gertrude

Post by Choobaine Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:41 am

I was given a leopard gecko by a nice family, they noticed their child had lost interest and was neglecting it, I don't think they knew the gecko was getting sick but they did the responsible thing and let me take her home.

This was Gertrude when I got her:
The story of Gertrude 5619539872_9df367234f
Wish this little leopard gecko luck! by choobaine, on Flickr
See that lump? Massive sand impaction, she pooped sand for weeks and it was not a fun experience for her :( She also has slightly warped limbs, so it is clear she wasn't getting calcium so she ate the sand in an attempt to get minerals back.

Seeing she wasn't in the best state and it could be beyond my ability to fix I went straight to the vet (I have a vet fund for just such occasions) and she got a calcium injection, along with something to help oil up her digestive system, she didn't like any of this and bit the vet repeatedly, at this moment I totally fell in love with the little thing. She clearly wasn't so helpless after all!

This was her nine days after the vet trip:
The story of Gertrude 5630957334_138a0c1bbe
Gertrude is feeling better by choobaine, on Flickr

At first she really didn't want to eat at all, but these days she has become the most ravenous little monster I have ever seen, she can literally jump vertically out of her hide to catch crickets I hold for her, usually she gets my fingers too. These days she is has more weight on than the photos above and she's much stronger and healthier. I never thought I'd own a leopard gecko but now I have her and have helped her find the good life she deserves I wouldn't dream of life without her.

Choobaine
Choobaine
Lurker
Lurker

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2011-08-10

http://www.flickr.com/photos/choobaine/

Back to top Go down

The story of Gertrude Empty Re: The story of Gertrude

Post by Tan Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 pm

You're as bad as many of the rest of us, if it has a sad story, a problem or something which is going to end up costing you a small fortune, even if we don't necessarily know what we are getting into if anything at all at the start, we want it even more when we do know something is wrong. Well done for sticking by her and not putting a monetary value on her life. Don't get me wrong, I do understand when people cannot or do not wish to pay x amount for an animal for whatever reason (and some bills are ridiculously high in comparison to the treatment given), I just don't often agree and have found myself saying more times then I care to remember 'I don't care what it costs' (thank god they generally do wildlife for free or at reduced rates lol) and then spending a long time paying the vets off but to me it's worth it.

I have to say I love these guys. Their forever happy appearance and wonderful personalities make it hard not to love them and she is a cracker. Thank you for all these wonderful stories and superb images (you know, we do LOVE pictures here and with so many sections to choose from.... hint, hint The story of Gertrude 772154 )
Tan
Tan
Someone turn off my internet
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down