Lurker
Lurker

Male
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: how do you defrost you rodents

Post by morelia on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:18 pm

I set the rodents out in the afternoon and give them several hours to defrost naturally at room temperature. Then 20 mins before I want to start feeding I pop them into a tub filled with warm water - this warms them to above room temperature and gives the snakes something warm and well-scented to strike at. After 20 mins I check the temps of the rodents and if they are warm enough, feeding begins.

I also stagger feeding over 2 nights so that if someone doesn't feed the first night, I can feed someone on the 2nd list and so minimise food wastage; failing that there is usually always one 'garbage bin' snake that will polish-up uneaten food at the end of a feeding session.
morelia
I swear I'm not addicted
I swear I'm not addicted

Male
Number of posts : 1472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:23 pm

I do similar to Karl has said. Lay out all mice I want in the evening and leave them for a few hours. I use the top of my rack as a defrost area.

I then offer them at their defrosted temperature to my guys.

Tan
Someone turn off my internet

Female
Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.irish-rabbit-club.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:39 pm

Im the same,i leave the food item out some time during the day depending on the size,earlyer for large items later for small,and let them defrost at room temperature.Rarely do i pre heat food items before feeding,but i think this is also down to the type of snakes you are keeping.Karl keeps mostly pythons that have large heat pits adn would really on heat to locate their prey alot more than say boa,corns etc.
Phil
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony W on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:49 pm

Hey Micky,

I think it's safe to say that most folk use similar methods to what has already been mentioned...another great way to increase the temp of thawed rodents is place them on a towel [and wrap the towel around them] and place on top of a radiator for a few minutes, this also achieves the desired effect...just remember not to use the towel to dry your face afterwards..

Tony W

Male
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2009-08-23

http://www.tjreptiles.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jonty on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:59 am

i also let mine thaw at room temperature, and feed them to the snakes wiyhout heating them, any time i have had to heat any i've used a hairdryer.

marty
jonty
Insomniac
Insomniac

Male
Number of posts : 2371
Registration date : 2009-04-15

http://www.saintfieldhockeyclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dogg on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 pm

If I'm working certain shifts and won't be around during the day, I'll put the rodents I want to use into a tub and put them in the fridge (I have a fridge/freezer in the snake room just for this job) - I find they don't defrost just as quick, then closer to feeding time I'll leave them at room temp, then I'll give them a quick dip into some warm water before feeding to my snakes.

That's a good pointer about boas not needing the prey rodents to be heated - I always thought all snakes relied heavily on heat sensory to detect their prey. I must try feeding my boas their rodents at room temp and see how that goes Very Happy

Big Dogg
Unemployed
Unemployed

Male
Number of posts : 309
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by naja-naja on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:31 pm

them them out in the morning, anything smaller then a medium rat is finished by that evening ot nighttime, the large rats and rabbits are fed the next morning.

naja-naja
Unemployed
Unemployed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top